Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Why buy adjustable LCAs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why buy adjustable LCAs?

I'm trying to find an answer on this one, and the only one I have is "to adjust where the tire sits in the wheel well".

Do any of you suspension gurus have a more in-depth response?
Old 02-24-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats basically it. to fine tune your rear end. it matters more when youre lowering and if youre into any kind of racing. even drag racing. its best to get reloc. brackets with them, again especially when lowering.

the easiest answer is simply this: its best to get everything adjustable, because youll never know what you might do in the future. the PHB is the biggest case. you really NEED an adj. when lowered. so if youre in the market for a new PHB, why not get the adj. just in case, sometime in the future, you decide to lower? that way you wont have to buy the same thing twice.

also, to a small extent, the factory location of the rear may or may not be perfectly centered. im sure after driving for a few years (its been 7 years since 2002, as per your Z28) things can get a little out of whack; although not much. with adj. suspension pieces, you can re-center the rear, even if youre at stock height.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

I always assumed people got adjustable LCA only if they had an aftermarket rear end so they could center it. I would really like to know the advantaged of adjustable ones on a stock height car. I have an adjustable PHB-Mainly due to the 11's in the rear.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
I'm trying to find an answer on this one, and the only one I have is "to adjust where the tire sits in the wheel well".

Do any of you suspension gurus have a more in-depth response?
In-depth huh? Go to advanced section, There is a tread on this, just make sure that you click on all of the links. This will keep you busy for a few hours and maybe make your head spin a little...lol
Old 02-24-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little less "in-depth" than that would be nicer actually

So would it be worth it. I'm 100% sure I have no plans to lower the car. But I am looking into a different rear eventually, so the benefits would be there on that. I see.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Rod ends wear-out, and when they wear-out you have to replace the whole rod end not just replace bushing parts. So the main reason they're threaded into the control arms is so they can be replaced!
IMO, Adjust ability just happens to be a side benefit of that.

Quick Reply: Why buy adjustable LCAs?