Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS Brake bleeding and scanning

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Brake bleeding and scanning

How to bleed the brakes with an ABS system and what ABS scanners can open the valves, etc.

Hey, guys and gals. I’ve searched for the faqs on bleeding the brakes, getting around the ABS module and the use of ABS scan to diagnose the system. I’m finding little. For example, I seem to remember one of the regulars here posting up about how to get the module valves to be open during bleeding, but now I can’t find it.

Also, I’ve found a Actron CP9449 ABS scanner for sale, but I don’t know if it will open the valves for bleeding, like you would get at a GM dealer. Are there other scanners that will actively work the ABS internals? Does anyone have any experience in scanners, especially outside of a GM service department (or in one for that matter)?

I have two late model GMs in the driveway now, ’99 and up, and the possibility of another arriving in the near future. Even if a scan tool cost me around $200, if it will do what I need it to, it might be worth it for a few years down the road.

Can anyone point me to the right forum posts? And all opinions are welcome.

Thanks!

Red

Last edited by RedZ99; 02-28-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll chime in here. I have totally bled systems (new brake lines on one car and new abs block on another) that were GM and required a techII to "properly" bleed the brakes. Both times I have done the standard procedure without doing anything with the valves. Both cars drive excellent and have hard brake pedals.

Quick Reply: ABS Brake bleeding and scanning