Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

No more racing, just want to enjoy my car

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up No more racing, just want to enjoy my car

I've reached a point in my life where I no longer have the desire to take my car to the drag strip or do any type of racing, I just want to enjoy my car. I'm in pilot training in the Air Force so I rarely get to drive my car, let alone work on it, but I miss spending time wrenching on it and so I want to throw some new parts on it to make it feel better on the road.

It currently has ~110k miles on it with mostly stock suspension parts besides some cheap rear drag shocks. My plan is to throw the front sway bar back on it, get some new shocks and maybe even springs (have cut stockers now), and get new bushings/joints/etc for the front end. I've been out of the loop for a while so I need to catch up on the hot parts and manufacturers. So I need to find...

1. Some good shocks for street use. Don't need anything adjustable or fancy, just good street manners, something that will work well on lowered cars, and will last a long time.

2. Maybe some springs that will work with the shocks. These aren't a necessity but I think I've outgrown cut stockers. I always liked BMRs because they didn't seem to sag like the Eibachs did, but I also see Strano makes a good spring these days. Like I said, I've been out of the LS1 game for years.

3. I also need to figure out what exactly to replace in the front end. I haven't put the car on a lift to do much investigating, but I'm guessing the ball joints, tie rod ends, and a-arm bushings could probably be replaced. Anything else that is usually worn after 110k?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 03-07-2009, 01:24 AM
TECH Veteran

http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000232
Old 03-07-2009, 03:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

In addition to the info I sent you in a PM:
IMO, I would take a look at J & M Hotparts Rear control arms, or DKT performance rear control arms, both offer great articulation and are perfectly quiet. Also a adjustable polyurethane/rod-end P.H.B.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
I've reached a point in my life where I no longer have the desire to take my car to the drag strip or do any type of racing, I just want to enjoy my car. I'm in pilot training in the Air Force so I rarely get to drive my car, let alone work on it, but I miss spending time wrenching on it and so I want to throw some new parts on it to make it feel better on the road.

It currently has ~110k miles on it with mostly stock suspension parts besides some cheap rear drag shocks. My plan is to throw the front sway bar back on it, get some new shocks and maybe even springs (have cut stockers now), and get new bushings/joints/etc for the front end. I've been out of the loop for a while so I need to catch up on the hot parts and manufacturers. So I need to find...

1. Some good shocks for street use. Don't need anything adjustable or fancy, just good street manners, something that will work well on lowered cars, and will last a long time.

2. Maybe some springs that will work with the shocks. These aren't a necessity but I think I've outgrown cut stockers. I always liked BMRs because they didn't seem to sag like the Eibachs did, but I also see Strano makes a good spring these days. Like I said, I've been out of the LS1 game for years.

3. I also need to figure out what exactly to replace in the front end. I haven't put the car on a lift to do much investigating, but I'm guessing the ball joints, tie rod ends, and a-arm bushings could probably be replaced. Anything else that is usually worn after 110k?

Thanks for the help guys.
Stock springs + other stock parts + http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...ID=0&ModelID=7 will most likley ride the best. If you are going for comfort do *NOT* lower on shocks made for stock springs (like these bilstiens), lower on something like Konis.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd start out with strano springs and koni's. Call Sam, he will hook you up and give you a direction to go in. www.stranoparts.com
Old 03-07-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are Koni's really made for comfort and street use? I thought those were more oriented to road racing and the like. I was thinking either the Strano Bilsteins or the SLP Bilsteins would work better in my situation.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Are Koni's really made for comfort and street use? I thought those were more oriented to road racing and the like. I was thinking either the Strano Bilsteins or the SLP Bilsteins would work better in my situation.
They are a handling shock, but very comfortable IMO (way more comfortable than stock) and you can adjust them to your liking. On otherwise stock suspension at stock height they remind me of a E36/46 BMW 3 series. You can do a search and see what other think about them.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

As mentioned if you want your car to handle well call Strano. I know the Strano/Koni combo gets beat to death on this forum but there is a reason for that. Not only do you get quality parts you get customer service that is top notch.

The first thing Sam or anyone else will ask is what do you want the car to do. Second is what is your budget. If you can give honest answers for both Sam will get you where you want to be.

If you don't want to put lowering springs on it you can keep the stock springs, do the hose mod and use the lower perch on the front struts on the konis. Shocks are the most important part of the whole suspension equation.

Good luck. There is a lot of good info on these boards and a lot of good people.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For just driving, and not lowering (along with all else you have to do with that) the stock springs and koni shocks are hard to beat. I drove my car that way for 8 months and loved it; it is how the cars should have came. Second that with a 35mm front bar and the car is an entirely different animal to drive. I think the 35mm should be standard too because it does so much to help turn in.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sams springs with Konis or stock springs with konis is what I would go with.

The tie rod ends might be bad etc, just have to look and check them out. Also listen while driving. Some cars depends on the life the tie rods can go a lot earlier.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

for what you want, pick up a set of non cut stock springs and koni shocks, they help the feel of the car SOOO much its not even funny.

bilsteins cannot be used on lowering springs, they will probably be the most comfortable on stock springs, but they won't be good for handling and they won't give the car the awesome feel the konis do. Koni have a lifetime warranty, so i would say they will last you awhile.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

So no Bilsteins can be used with lowering springs? I'm going to keep my car lowered either way. I thought the Strano revalves or the SLP revalves were made for lowering springs?
Old 03-08-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

So no Bilsteins can be used with lowering springs? I'm going to keep my car lowered either way. I thought the Strano revalves or the SLP revalves were made for lowering springs?

Not true. Strano revalves were made in mind with usually pretty much one set of springs. He valved on a per request basis. This was a stop-gap measure and Sam don't do these anymore. SLP revalves never heard of them, but they dont' sound like they would work unless its the slp shocks that came with the slp springs and there "ok"

Pretty much the only company making a set of shocks we can use with springs is KONI(I know I know you got pensake etc etc...but only "cheap" ones) Its a same in one way, but I guess the profit margin is not huge you have to sell a lot and nobody else is wiling to make nice one like KONI. Of course even if they did come in 100 dollars lower than KONI, I know I would go with KONI there shock "gods" right?

In short if you want some sort of lowering spring you will need to get the KONI's PERIOD. There are many good threads on ls1tech about this and if you read read read read and read. You will eventually come to the conclusion Konis is the "best" option.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Strano revalves WERE made for lowering springs, only Sam Strano was willing to do that, and the last I heard, he is not able to provide his revalves because Bilstein has failed to provide Sam with the shocks he needs in order to revalve them.

SLP revalves :spit: were "supposedly" designed to work with SLP's stage I(?) suspension package, the springs were juuuuuuust a bit stiffer than factory springs, and about an inch lower. But again, those Bilstein's were marginally adequate for the spring rates.

Both Camaro's and Firebirds had a much more extreme suspension option and they both included Koni shocks...

I wonder why...

Those shocks were Dual Adjustables, designed to be able to be revalved for different race track conditions, NOT ideal street driving.

Looks like the DA's, while more versatile with roadracing, isn't as beefy as the Single Adjustable shocks that they also offer.

Putting the SLP(not Sam's) revalves on any lowering spring, matter of fact putting the Bilstein HD's on any lowered spring other than the SLP lowering springs, well, your ride will eventually end up being stiff. The shocks will blow out over time, they can't handle the stiffer spring rate, and now the shock travel will be shorter cuz you're on lowered springs, so you'll end up BLOWING your shocks and guess what???

You gotta buy new ones.

Now, you're probably going to hear quite a few folks SWEAR that their Bilstein shocks and lowered springs are GREAT compared to their factory setup, but I bet you a hundred bucks they have never ridden in an f-body with the Koni SA shocks TRUE STORY!!!

For handling purposes, the Koni's are heads 'n shoulders above the cheaper options out there. you can get any lowered spring out there(STAY AWAY FROM THE SPORTLINES IF YOU WANT RIDE COMFORT!!!) and adjust the Koni's to prevent from BOUNCING off of the springs, the ride is DEFINITELY stiffer than any shock out there, but that doesn't mean it's uncomfortable.

I know of one guy who was VERY unhappy with the Koni's and said it was too stiff and wanted something softer, more like a factory feel(read spongy, and squirrely during high speed turns) which is fine, but see, if you want a Cadillac ride then go freaking buy a Cadillac

Even with the factory springs the Koni's will make you wonder what happened to your car, it transforms your ride quality and turning performance SO EXTREME you're gonna **** your pants and fall in love with your car again.

My .02

Quick Reply: No more racing, just want to enjoy my car