Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SLP Level 2 performance upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Level 2 performance packages

Anyone have any experience with this setup. I'm considering this as an upgrade from my stock Z28 suspension. I know it includes SLP Bilstein shocks and SLP progressive higher rate springs which I can get at a pretty good deal. Just trying to improve things on a budget. My priority is a comfortable controlled ride with better responsiveness during spirited driving. In other words - get rid of the uncontrolled wandering stock suspension is good for....Thanks

Last edited by Alex212; 03-16-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed it on my 2000 SS . . . in a nut shell:

Front springs too tall . . .

Rear springs too soft . . .

Shocks OK . . .
Old 03-16-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex212
Anyone have any experience with this setup. I'm considering this as an upgrade from my stock Z28 suspension. I know it includes SLP Bilstein shocks and SLP progressive higher rate springs which I can get at a pretty good deal. Just trying to improve things on a budget. My priority is a comfortable controlled ride with better responsiveness during spirited driving. In other words - get rid of the uncontrolled wandering stock suspension is good for....Thanks
You don't need "better" springs, what you need is shocks that are worth a damn, that's why your car feels the way it does. For the cost of the shock/spring package you could spend slightly more and get some koni 4/3's from Stranoparts.com and be more than satisfied. I know its probably hard to believe that just shocks can make such a difference but good god do they ever...
Old 03-16-2009, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

"For the cost of the shock/spring package you could spend slightly more and get some koni 4/3's from Stranoparts.com and be more than satisfied. I know its probably hard to believe that just shocks can make such a difference but good god do they ever..."
I hear ya and I know Koni's are far above anything else. But I'm looking at new SLP Bilsteins and SLP level 2 springs for $400. Not that I wouldn't mind having Koni's but I just don't want to spend Koni coin at the moment.

I have also read on this board by a few different members that the Koni's are not the choice for ride comfort, handling yes but not ride comfort. Not sure if that's true but some folks agree on it.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex212
I hear ya and I know Koni's are far above anything else. But I'm looking at new SLP Bilsteins and SLP level 2 springs for $400. Not that I wouldn't mind having Koni's but I just don't want to spend Koni coin at the moment.
Where are you seeing this at? Any SLP spring/shock package I see are over $600.
I have also read on this board by a few different members that the Koni's are not the choice for ride comfort, handling yes but not ride comfort. Not sure if that's true but some folks agree on it.
The only ones that I have seen this from is when used on the lower perch or with lowering springs. At stock height they rode WAY better than the stock shocks IMO.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Used to run it. Still have the springs but I upgraded the shock to koni. The shocks are not that great. When I put in the koni in there, it made a huge difference.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i got slp springs/shocks for $100 along with a 32mm swaybar. i then sold the front springs for $60 and the front shocks for $120(didn't want the front sitting higher than the back) then bought hypercoils and revalved bilsteins for the front for $130. also sold a stock 19mm rear swaybar the guy gave me for $15.

for a $35 spring/shock combo i love it though. don't know how it compares to the koni setup but it's a lot better than the stock 90k mile decarbons and stock springs.

i'd consider spending 400 on it, could always piece it out and try to make a profit
Old 03-16-2009, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

I installed it on my 2000 SS . . . in a nut shell:

Front springs too tall . . .
Rear springs too soft . . .
Shocks OK . . .
front too tall...can't be taller than stock and that's OK with me.
Rear too soft?...softer than what? lowering springs? they're rated higher thank stock.

Where are you seeing this at? Any SLP spring/shock package I see are over $600.
SLP Bilsteins at Summit for $313 and the SLP L2 springs I got used with 15k mi for $80 with shock mounts thrown in.

I know the Z28 springs are decent but these being progressive start at Z28 spring specs and go higher when pushed. I'm thinking it's a step up and I'm not concerned about lowering although these may provide some minimal lowering.

Used to run it. Still have the springs but I upgraded the shock to koni. The shocks are not that great. When I put in the koni in there, it made a huge difference.
Sounds like you like the springs. Did the shocks not provide enough compression? They may be a little light on the compression which is OK with me I prefer a softer ride, but the rebound is set higher and I think that will provide allot more predictability than what stock gives me.

I'm by no means an expert, just going on what I have read online. But bottom line for $400 I'll give this a try.

Last edited by Alex212; 03-16-2009 at 07:51 PM.

Quick Reply: SLP Level 2 performance upgrade