Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Any reason to replace the tranny mount?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Any reason to replace the tranny mount?

I've got my transmission out for a rebuild and I'm putting it back in this weekend with a new crossmember to relocate the TA off the trans. Already have an adjustable torque arm and all new drivetrain parts on there, along with my 12-bolt (4.10s) and rear suspension parts. I just realized the only thing I haven't replaced yet related to the trans/drivetrain is the stock tranny mount. Any reason I should replace this with, say, the one in the link below (or another) before putting it back together? I would have to get the part shipped 2-day for extra $$$.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 03-18-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Prothane tranny mount because I have Spohn solids and I read that you should have a stiffer trans mount along with the stiffer motor mounts. Either way, it was so cheap and easy to install I got it anyway.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I've got my transmission out for a rebuild and I'm putting it back in this weekend with a new crossmember to relocate the TA off the trans. Already have an adjustable torque arm and all new drivetrain parts on there, along with my 12-bolt (4.10s) and rear suspension parts. I just realized the only thing I haven't replaced yet related to the trans/drivetrain is the stock tranny mount. Any reason I should replace this with, say, the one in the link below (or another) before putting it back together? I would have to get the part shipped 2-day for extra $$$.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
I've been told NOT to put in a harder tranny mount without doing the same to the motor mounts. Can't remember why, something about the movement between the motor and trans.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

love my prothane mount and would recommened it to others. My shifter is always in the same spot never wobbles or wonders. Best $30 I spent on a single mod Plus the rubber ones break all the time, then the shifter hops up and down like a pogp stick.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

put a poly mount in my car when I did my clutch/trans swap. shifter never moves now
Old 03-19-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Huh, I never experienced the moving shifting everyone is talking about but I went ahead and ordered the new mount anyways. I want to do motor mounts at some point, as well, but don't have the time or money right now.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Well moving meaning it deflects from the movment of the rubber mount. The prothane mount there is no movement what so ever. It stays put. You will like.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i broke 2 stock rubber mounts before switching to urathane, been fine ever since, that was 4 years ago.

Quick Reply: Any reason to replace the tranny mount?