Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

buying struts/shocks,what else do i need to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying struts/shocks,what else do i need to buy?

I want to get new shocks/struts for my 02 Trans, but some places say you need new mounting parts, Im not sure what they are called but what other parts do you need to purchase to get everything installed properly. I guess you cant just swap out or re use whats there for mounting. I want to order everthing online then bring everything to my mechanic, it seems like it can add up but if any one could help with the specifics and save me some trouble of going back and forth for parts and prices. much appreciated!
Old 03-29-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

you really dont need anything else. it is really easy to swap them yourself, save some money and dont take it to the mechanic.

what shocks are you buying? if you are getting coilovers sometimes you may need extra parts though.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Teching In

I was think of KYB agx or bilsteins HD
Old 03-29-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd get a pair of the upper shock mounts, as they have a tendency to either deteriorate or freeze to the shock shaft over time. If you have a pair on hand, there wont be any down time in case your current ones are bad.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 195 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I'd get a pair of the upper shock mounts, as they have a tendency to either deteriorate or freeze to the shock shaft over time. If you have a pair on hand, there wont be any down time in case your current ones are bad.
Aren't they pretty expensive though? I would hate for a guy to buy them if he didn't need them. I've replaced front shocks on 3 Firebirds and haven't needed them. The nuts were only rusted on bad on one of the three cars. The mounts were ok.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Aren't they pretty expensive though? I would hate for a guy to buy them if he didn't need them. I've replaced front shocks on 3 Firebirds and haven't needed them. The nuts were only rusted on bad on one of the three cars. The mounts were ok.

True, but if he didn't use them, I'm assuming he could return them.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
True, but if he didn't use them, I'm assuming he could return them.
Do you guys mix brand shocks up front and rear, for instance would you buy bilstein or kyb up fronts leave rear stock until you get more cash together, would the ride feel strange or harm the car?
Old 03-29-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by steelbird
Do you guys mix brand shocks up front and rear, for instance would you buy bilstein or kyb up fronts leave rear stock until you get more cash together, would the ride feel strange or harm the car?
if anything do the rears. you will notice it more. and i cant say i have ever been impressed with kyb. i had the agx's on my old stand and wasnt to fond of them.

i havent owned bilstein though.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 195 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by steelbird
You can tell from my sig that I mix 'em. In fact, I have the opposite mix on my M6 car - Bilstein front, Koni rear. I don't think stock makes for a good mix with anything, though. As I've stated in other threads, a good budget mix is Bilstein front, Tokico rear. This assumes stock springs and makes for a nice ride.

Quick Reply: buying struts/shocks,what else do i need to buy?