Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque Arm: Tunnel Mounted vs. Crossmember Mounted

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque Arm: Tunnel Mounted vs. Crossmember Mounted

I really need a torque arm, I am WAY past the potential of the stock piece (probably should have gotten it a long time ago). I have been making a few more quarter mile passes lately but generally my mods are geared toward street/road course/auto-x handling. I have a custom 3" y-pipe with a 4" cutout and I really don't think the tunnel mount kit is going to fit. A guy at my local shop said he could fab a tunnel mount that would fit, but I would probably loose a good little bit of ground clearance on an already low car. I have been looking at the UMI adjustable trans mount torque arm with the crossmember relocation kit as a solution to all this. I am just wondering if there are any performance tradeoffs with that torque arm setup vs. the tunnel mount. I know that a shorter torque arm is supposed to function a little better, but how much difference will this really make. Would it really be worth it to do a custom tunnel mount brace in spite of the ground clearance issues?

Here are a few pics of my setup to give everybody and idea of what I'm working with.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally, the tunnel mount is more favorable for drag racing setups and the trans-mounted is more favorable towards road-racing.

I would recommend trans-mounted with the relocation kit. Looks like you'll lose quite a bit of ground clearance with a tunnel mount brace.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up A few ideas for you!

Hello
Thanks for considering UMI Performance! Seeing how you are using custom made exhaust you might run into a clearance issue with a cross member with a DS Loop (might hit the exhaust)! But a tunnel mounted arm with a non DS loop looks like it will work of like you were asking about a relocation bracket will work as well! Below is a few links to show you what we have to offer!

http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=131

http://umiperformance.com/2202?category_id=130

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 04-27-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think if you are hardcore racing you would like the
tunnel mount, but if you have any interest in noise
and comfort you'd like to stay with trans mount as
long as you can. I found a relo Xmember too vibey
to live with.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

My recommendation for probably 95% of the folks is the Full-length arm with a TA recloation bracket over a Tunnel mount, and here is why:

For the street you get a lot less noise and vibration. Further, the tunnel mount was not intended for TA loads. If you have 3-pt connectors that not an issue, but I think it's a bit weak (and have seen floors torn in places) by TA loads being put into the floor with out the use of 3-pt connectors. Ground clearance does suffer a touch, and it makes fitment of some exhausts a bit harder.

The full length arm w/bracket puts TA loads into the mounting points for the Tranny crossmember. The full length arm is better under braking (less prone to braking wheelhop), the ride is quieter with less vibration, and because the TA runs in the stock location with a bracket that replaces the OEM trans crossmember everything fits like stock.

Now for the more hardcore drag racers that are willing to put up with racket and vibration and where handling is not as high on the list as it seems here, then we do occassionally use and recommend the tunnel-mount type (I just did about 15 minutes ago in fact).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Torque Arm: Tunnel Mounted vs. Crossmember Mounted