Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Different Aluminum Alloys

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Different Aluminum Alloys

I noticed the "bob bishop" brackets are made of 6061 aluminum while the UMI brackets are 2024. What make one alloy "better" than the other for this application?
Also, The UMI bracket are symmetrical, While the "bob bishop" have "extra" metal on the lower rear-bolt location to prevent cracking from stress?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=947&step=2

Might help you out. Both are good stuff. If you use 2024 on a daily driver, you may want to make sure you have a good finish on it. It is a little more prone to corrosion, but stronger.

Good design for both brands. Things I noticed that are really good at the UMI site:
The material thicknesses look right. (Ive been am mechanical engineer for 30+ yrs)
All the edges are chamfered or radiused. This is a really nice touch and shows they really understand stresses. All the fasteners are shown with washers under the heads. This is really important. If you leave them out, when you tighten the bolts the heads will cut thru the finish on the aluminum and youll have a point for corrosion to start, which happens to be the worst place. They also added all the clearance features for the ABS sensor. Again, really well done. Only thing I would suggest is that you thoroughly wire brush the steel surface you are mounting the aluminum to, and possibly spraying some anti-corrosion coating on the steel. That 'cold galvanizing' paint that is high in zinc is a good thing. Lastly, make sure you use your torque wrench when installing...

Good luck
Old 05-05-2009, 02:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jclz28
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=947&step=2

Good design for both brands. Things I noticed that are really good at the UMI site:
The material thicknesses look right. (Ive been am mechanical engineer for 30+ yrs)
All the edges are chamfered or radiused. This is a really nice touch and shows they really understand stresses. All the fasteners are shown with washers under the heads. This is really important.
Thank you very much. I attached a newer picture of our brackets to better show the quality and time invested into this product.

Thanks again,
Ryan
Attached Thumbnails Different Aluminum Alloys-2120.jpg  
Old 05-12-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ohhh nice. Thanks for the input jclz28. Thats exactly what I was looking for.

Now are those brackets the ones I would get if I were to buy them now.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cumbias
Now are those brackets the ones I would get if I were to buy them now.
Hello, If you are referring to the brackets in the picture, yes. Those brackets are the exact ones you would received and we have them in stock!

If I can help anymore please ask. Thanks!
Ryan

Quick Reply: Different Aluminum Alloys