Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

banging noise after subframe con. install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default banging noise after subframe con. install?

I had the bmr weld on type installed, but now that i've gone over some bumps, there's a big thump coming from the passenger side of the car, any ideas what or why it's hitting?

thanks
Old 03-06-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problems with umi 3 pointers but only on the passenger side it sounds like they are tightened down all the way but as far as I can tell they are.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:08 AM
Teching In

I seem to remember reading in my UMI 3 pt paperwork (which I can't seem to find anymore) that it was rather important to make sure that the rear control arms were torqued down correctly. If you heard any noise then it was most likely that control arm mount moving, in which case you'd need to torque it down a bit more until you didn't have that problem anymore. As for the weld-on... I'm not sure. I never bought it because if the car was already twisted I had no idea how you'd actually manage to put it in right. That's just what I remember though....
Old 03-07-2010, 06:10 AM
12 Second Club

My guess is the lower control arm needs a bit more torquing down, did the torque them with weight on the car?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Darker Shadow
I seem to remember reading in my UMI 3 pt paperwork (which I can't seem to find anymore) that it was rather important to make sure that the rear control arms were torqued down correctly. If you heard any noise then it was most likely that control arm mount moving, in which case you'd need to torque it down a bit more until you didn't have that problem anymore. As for the weld-on... I'm not sure. I never bought it because if the car was already twisted I had no idea how you'd actually manage to put it in right. That's just what I remember though....
Yes this is correct, thanks for the information. The rear control arm bolts need to be extremely tight. With the SFC's installed it will not take more torque to compress the control arm bushings.

Hope that helps,
Ryan

Quick Reply: banging noise after subframe con. install?