Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel to Caliper, how close is too close?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel to Caliper, how close is too close?

I just picked up some wheels and it looks like I will be able to use the LS-1 calipers and rotors on front, but there will not be more than 1/16" clearance between the caliper and wheel. If even that much. These are 15" wheels with a 4" backspace on them. I am wondering if a pebble got thrown between them is there going to be a problem? Or should I just not worry about it?
It is pretty much going to be a street driven car.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Less than a 1/16" is awefully close. If your brake pads are worn down down, when you install new, the caliper could hit the wheel, if it's that close.

There would be nothing wrong with throwing on a 1/8" spacer in order to move the wheel away from the caliper.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Teching In

It is not the front of the caliper that is that close, but the side. Or the diameter of the wheel, 15" instead of 16" wich would give more clearance.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Teching In

OK, I just looked at them better. The only part that is that close is those ribs toward the rear of the calipers. So I guess some grinding of those will give better clearance. Just did a search about grinding calipers, but they all talk about the rears, not the front. I hope it is safe to grind those ribs down some.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Kore3 recommends .080-.100" minimal clearance from the back of the spoke to the front face of the caliper.

aaron
Old 04-11-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

i'm having a hard time deciphering your description of where it is close..

is it distance between caliper face to inside wheel spoke as mentioned above? if so, a spacer will fix that no problem

or is it the distance from the caliper to the barrel of the wheel? if it's this either grinding (depending on caliper) or a larger wheel is your only real option

dont forget that while a wheel is a pretty solid looking/feeling item, it is have some flex in it while being used...
Old 04-12-2010, 01:31 AM
Teching In

It is the distance from the caliper to the barrel of the wheel. I realized this thread was confusing so I started a new one last month, better describing my issue (with pic's). Here

Quick Reply: Wheel to Caliper, how close is too close?