Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

where to buy front spring mounts (and what brand).. Can't really find it in search

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My car is a 1998, although I doubt those upper plates changed from 1993-2002. I do not need the upper A-arms/control arms, I only need the plates which they mount to. Unfortunately, in the official GM parts manual, there isn't even a part number for the plates. It lists them as "N.A." (part #3) and and says that they are included with the front upper control arms, part #8, along with parts 3-6.

Actually, knowing that, your advice may save me some money. The cheapest I could find, was GM PartsOutlet, at a little over $450 for the pair. That is still nuts, but way better than $700.

Suspension is the full Strano setup of springs, anti-roll bars, Koni yellows, and 1LE bushings.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:02 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You should check out the contacts listed at shbox.com If they are able to get the parts, I suspect it will be significantly cheaper than the online retailers.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I still don't know why none of the great aftermarket suspension guys (UMI, BMR, Midwest, Founders, etc) haven't made new UCA plates. It seems like it would be a fairly easy thing for them to make, there certainly would be a market for them seeing how even otherwise rust-free cars can have rusted up plates, etc. Come on guys, you make the arms and then make us stick 'em in our old rusty plates, what's up with that

Side note - on the rubber mounts themselves, I do OEM or Moog only. Nothing else I've tried fit right. People ask me why I stick with Moog for most OEM-style suspension stuff, answer is because most times I stray from them I end up with junk!
Old 05-09-2017, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to kick up this old thread.

For anyone looking for what mounts to buy, avoid cheap mounts and save yourself the headache as Everyone has mentioned!!

Also be sure to avoid Acdelco parts 501148 and 501149. I bought these thinking they would be without issue until I went to install my assembled springs and couldn't line up the bolts...It turns out two of the bolt holes are completely off in their alignment. (see pic). After doing some searching about this it appears to be a common issue, among others.

I found an older thread about it here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-mounts-3.html

Also, as far as the upper control arm mounts mine were also rusted and I had to go find a used set. PITA.. I'm very surprised that there's no aftermarket availability for these as they seem to be simple stamped/welded sheet metal similar the control arms and anything else..

It was such a pain, I contacted dorman to give them a product idea so maybe there will be a day someone might make them, even if its only dorman.
Attached Thumbnails where to buy front spring mounts (and what brand).. Can't really find it in search-18402935_10212942401692950_8708784613264899941_n.jpg  
Old 05-09-2017, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used MOOG's on my STR's and Strano Spring install last month, worked out well with no problems.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought Monroes and BOTH sides had one of the pressed in studs completely come out on me when I tightened them down....

still rocking them after a year and a half...only because I was too damn mad to completely redo the entire setup again..
Old 07-05-2017, 02:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, I had the same damn issue. ACDelco 901035 from RockAuto. Sending them back and ordering again, hopefully the next one won't be the same. Notice that the shock shaft doesn't line up with the center hole either (other side is bulls-eye). Even the pressed in insert was cracked. No problems with the driver's side (although I had to send that one back once because the first one was ripped, but the holes line up perfectly).

I rotated the whole assembly a few degrees clockwise, to no effect. Then I tried with just the upper mount alone and it was clear the holes could never line up. I tested my old one, and it lines up perfectly. If anyone else has any suggestions on where to get parts that are actually usable, I am all-ears.

Quick Reply: where to buy front spring mounts (and what brand).. Can't really find it in search