Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Parts Impossible to Find?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Parts Impossible to Find?

I'm in Vancouver Canada, my '99 Z has been at local dealership for almost 2 months waiting for a brake part: an "adjuster" or "star wheel".

Does this make any sense, how hard can it be to find parts for these cars?

So here's why it's in the shop: Wet day, I'm running snow tires which are great in the rain, I leave from a light (ok, a little hard), car slips a little like it sometimes will in the rain, the traction control kicks in (I don't usually have it on, this time it was), it thumps to reduce power, I take my foot off the gas a little in reaction. Normally at this point all should be well, the car should settle down and keep rolling forward in a straight line, pretty normal day-to-day occurance.

But this time: traction control keeps thumping (thump thump thump!) and the steering goes completely squirrely, no control at all - the car goes sideways into the curb (a full lane over), bounces back out, after a few wild gyrations I roll up onto the sidewalk and stop at a 90 degree angle to the road - I get out to have a look around -and my right rear wheel is sitting out in the middle of the road - I mean the wheel with rim and tire still attached. The axel broke clean off... I get the wheel/rim/tire off the highway and retrieve a few loose brake parts including broken rotor trailing back a few car lengths. The whole brake assembly is stripped right off the car.

So on insurance: the rear end, two oem wheels, and two new snow tires have been replaced (and next up is the body shop) but for weeks we've been waiting for a brake part. And I'm driving a courtesy Cobalt around.

Seriously, there has to be a source for adjusters and or star wheels?
Old 05-31-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's for your parking brake. Tell them to get a used one already so you can get out of that wimpy rental car.