Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How much better are the c5 rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much better are the c5 rotors?

Its getting time for me to upgrade my brakes on my 00 WS6. I was reading about the c5 upgrade and was wondering if its a world of difference between those and some new regular rotors.

Also does anyone suggest goes with slotted or drilled rotors? Mainly street driving but I will be going to the track a little bit this summer, and auto cross next summer
Old 06-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

i hate drilled and slotted. i have only owned two sets but they warped after less then a month each time, i got c5 brakes up front on my 95 and what im running now are cheap o reillys ones and there 2 months old and are working great so far. cheap rotors and good pads is the best way too go imo.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Its getting time for me to upgrade my brakes on my 00 WS6. I was reading about the c5 upgrade and was wondering if its a world of difference between those and some new regular rotors.

Also does anyone suggest goes with slotted or drilled rotors? Mainly street driving but I will be going to the track a little bit this summer, and auto cross next summer
Hmm.. how much do you know about the options you have? You can do the following and it will make a world of difference:

-Swap the pads with some decent performance street pads, like Hawk HPS for instance..
-Clean/regrease the caliper slider pins
-Swap in new brake hardware, clips, shims, pin boots
-Flush and refill brake fluid with clean fluid
-You'll want new rotors. I would probably go with some cheaper blanks if on a budget and wasn't going to road race.. they might not be ideal but they should get you to stop on a mild performance street setup

If you want to stop quicker and save money.. do this
Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XtremeDime

The world of difference comes with us LT1 guys since our brakes suck. So going to the LS1 setup for us is 10x better.

Your not gonna see any difference IMO with your car. Its not worth the hassle or $$$ since you already have LS1 brakes. Just buy a new set of pads and rotors for your car and you will be good.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with z28bryan, if your brakes are getting worn, you can use the napa prem rotors or like the ws6store.com sells brembo blanks, then get some nice pads that fit your needs.

Telling from your mods you might start off right in street modified class, so your going to play with some nice cars. I would put your money for c5 brakes and put it into suspension for handling.

I started autocrossing this year and I'm having a blast.

Good tires, good brakes, and suspension is a must
Old 06-15-2010, 02:03 AM
Banned

I would never run drilled rotors on a racetrack, they are mainly only for looks anymore. Too much heat in the rotor from hard track driving on 99% of the drilled rotors out there will result in cracking. I am a fan of slotted rotors though and I personally run them myself.

If you are looking to replace your front and rear brake components, I have a brake package that will cover you will all quality parts. Powerslot rotors and Hawk HPS pads. Should suit your needs for what your looking to do with your car (according to your post anyways).

http://www.zenithmotorsports.com/spo...-and-rear.aspx

-Mike
Old 06-15-2010, 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, on my 99 T/A the difference between stock and stock w/C5 rotors was large. It was a definite increase in braking power.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
FWIW, on my 99 T/A the difference between stock and stock w/C5 rotors was large. It was a definite increase in braking power.
Although, you only have as much braking power as your tires allow you to have. I can cause my pretty good tires to break free on hard stops on my stock brake setup

Quick Reply: How much better are the c5 rotors?