Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car Drives straight as an arrow but shakes above 60mph? Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car Drives straight as an arrow but shakes above 60mph? Rotors?

As the title says my alignment seems to be good but my car shakes anytime I go over 60mph I notice it and progressively gets worse as I go faster. I have stock rotors and 50K miles. Anybody else had this or pretty sure it's rotors or have any ideas of other things that could be causing this?
Old 07-19-2010, 03:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tire balance will do this, have your tires checked and rebalanced. Rotors shouldn't be noticeable unless you were braking. What does the car do when you are braking?

We just had the same problem with one of our shop cars and it was tires out of balance. Weights can fall off.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 07-19-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Tire balance will do this, have your tires checked and rebalanced. Rotors shouldn't be noticeable unless you were braking. What does the car do when you are braking?

We just had the same problem with one of our shop cars and it was tires out of balance. Weights can fall off.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
This is a true story. Make sure you make them use sticky weights, those rim weights that go on the lip I've had fly off literally as I drove out of the parking lot of the tire shop and had to go back (not once but twice in a row, the same day.)
Old 07-19-2010, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry forgot to mention that new tires were installed last year and I just to checked to make sure the weights are still there and they are. It shakes just as bad if not worse when I am braking as well, at the drag strip slowing down from about 115mph its downright violent till about the 60mph area it calms down again
Old 07-19-2010, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Last year was a long time ago. Getting your tires balanced should be one of the first things you check if you have a shake at speed.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

I had that happen also.

Turns out it was a bad dr i got from su==it
Would be ok on street till i got to about 65=70 then shake.
Running in the 1/8th at local ds had bad shake, shut it down.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same thing! Seats are great if you wanna fight the flab, just take it over 60 & shake the flab away!
I've got new tires & balance & it's still there, but got back from inspection & it turns out I have slight play in both tie rod ends & damaged driver side brake line, which is probably why my driver side wheel grabs every 3/4 of a turn.
So fingers crossed when that's done it goes away.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MasterV8
I have slight play in both tie rod ends & damaged driver side brake line, which is probably why my driver side wheel grabs every 3/4 of a turn.
Wait it grabs each 3/4 of a turn every time? So if you spin it it clockwise would grab at 3 o'clock and then 12 o'clock and then 9 o'clock each time you spin it? Or do you mean it grabs the same spot every time you spin it? I'm new here but how could a damaged brake line do that? Wouldn't that be more likely a warped rotor?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damage to the brake components can keep pressure on the rotor even when you let up off the brakes. It'll feel like your car is struggling to keep speed and often you'll down shift (in an auto) to maintain cruising speed. I've a damaged right caliper and every so often it sticks and my car tries to shake apart. Check your front calipers for cracks or broken pieces. Then the lines for any pinching or dents.

As said before, also look into your tie rod ends. My passenger side was bad and I had a lot of extra movement that shouldn't of been there.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry! I just realised that didn't make much sence. It grabs the same spot, well more like just gets stiffer then loose.
I put on a blank disc and it did the same thing, don't know if it's just not letting the piston retract properly but somethings not right.
It'll spin fine with the caliper off or the pistons retracted a bit, but go for a drive and it seems quite tight again.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Teching In

have you hit a pothole recently.... a bent wheel could cause this problem.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

To NE Iowa WS6, the OP, check if your rotors are warped, my front driver rotor was warped when I bought the car last august with 14500 miles and now I have 20500. I got new front rotors and pads. My shaking is virtually gone, I now have new tires as well, nothing more than natural shaking from high speeds are what I feel now . But for the OP, go a speed where the braking isnt that violent, and slowly press on the brakes but enough to feel the shake. Then try to feel where the shaking is coming from, if it's the wheel its a front raking problem, if it's more in your seat it's a rear braking problem. To check if your rotors are warped you can remove the wheel that is on the same spot as the rotor, after you remove the wheel, just spin the rotor and see if the rotor makes any kind of a grinding type of noise. If it does then rotors are causin your problems.

That's the best answer I could give.

** also braking from 115 with a warped rotor is extremely violent haha
Old 07-23-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another thing you might check is the driveshaft. If its out of balance it will shake the ever loving hell out of the car as well.

Quick Reply: Car Drives straight as an arrow but shakes above 60mph? Rotors?