Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Daily Driver Setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Daily Driver Setup

Ok guys, I need advice on what to get. My car is a daily driver and I am on a college kid budget, but I want to upgrade my suspension. Im not lookin for anything too fancy and I dont go to the track often but I would most like an improvement in ride comfort. Its just a little rough when I hit bumps and stuff. Of course im looking for the improvements on handling and cornering as well as when I launch the car too but my biggest concern is ride hight. I already have headers and I dont really want to lower the car anymore. I am a complete noob with suspension and I just wanted to get a general idea of where to start and how much it will cost. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

A set of Bilstein shocks should be your first investment if ride comfort is your top priority. They will also give a nice improvement in handling.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bilstein HDs (lifetime warranty)
Old 08-02-2010, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking into the Bilsteins also.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you don't want to lower the car but are looking for a better ride and better handling I recommend new shocks as well. The Bilsteins HD's are good shocks.

Another item for handling and how the vehicle performs around a turn would be a set of sway bars. Here is an example of pricing and what you would be looking at- Sway Bar Kit

Those items together would make a big different on how the car feels, drives and reacts.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 08-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Yeah I figured new shocks would be best. I think I put some new ones on the back, just some cheap ones from autozone and It helped a little. But I just didnt know which shocks would be best. Do you have to buy directly from bilstein to get the warranty? There are some local on craigslist here http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/1875092639.html

Should I get these??
Old 08-03-2010, 06:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by derekstl
Yeah I figured new shocks would be best. I think I put some new ones on the back, just some cheap ones from autozone and It helped a little. But I just didnt know which shocks would be best. Do you have to buy directly from bilstein to get the warranty? There are some local on craigslist here http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/1875092639.html

Should I get these??
Shocks are your best bet on a budget to make a big difference, especially if you don't want to lower the car. After shocks, then you can look into sway bars as UMI said. An entire set of bilsteins brand new is about 400. 75 is not bad for a set of front used bilsteins but you probably shouldn't try and mix the Autozone shocks with the bilsteins. They will be valved differently and you won't get the full benefit of the bilsteins. I would save your money until you can buy a full set, preferably new, but used is okay if the miles are somewhat low. Just don't try and mix and match. You will be disappointed in how things turn out.
The reason the top threads on one of these are cut, (I'm betting it's the passenger side) is the passenger side mount retains water for some reason and they all seem to rust out, even garage queens just from when it's getting washed. If that guy had a whole set, it might be worth looking into, but I would wait to get a complete set. I would post in the for sale section here on LS1 tech, WTB complete set of bilsteins. There are guys upgrading to Koni's or other shocks all the time and will have whole sets for sale. I'm sure you could find someone looking to sell you a complete set for a good price. I would also trust someone here before Craigs list. At least they might have a trader rating too.
I have no idea if the Bilstein warranty is transferable or not.
Good luck.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Racin z28.... Thanks man! That post was very informative. I think Im gonna take your advise and just save up and buy a whole set from someone on here. Thanks everybody for the help!

Quick Reply: Daily Driver Setup