Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

moser 9inch with UMI torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation moser 9inch with UMI torque arm

OK, i just recently added SFC's , a UMI torque arm with the driveshaft loop and i ran into a small problem! BUT with the persuation of a torch and grinder everything fits perfect! the reason im posting this is for anyone eles who has or plans on putting this combo together can learn from this and be ready with the tools youll need to make it all work together. first off the Moser 9inch rear housing will bolt directly to the STOCK torque arm and the UMI torque arm will bolt directly to the STOCK housing BUT the UMI arm will NOT bolt directly to the Moser housing do to the ajustable plates on the new t-arm.

As you can see from these pictures, the holes that are side-by-side on the mounting bracket of the T-arm ( the small red piece seen in the pics) have to be trimmed down on the passenger side and is easier done if you take this part off the Arm while doing so. be sure while cutting this part to cut down the center of the holes that are on the passenger side of the arm! also you have to remove the mounting bracket from the housing and remove a small cupping portion as seen in the befor and after pics of the black piece ( thats the housing bracket) after all the cutting has been done take a grinder and smooth it out as much as you like and paint it to keep from rust on some of the parts. after that as you can see the two parts are then able to be put together and bolted as if made to fit lol. after that installation is pretty easy, bolt it up and make SURE ( very important note ) make sure that your driveshaft balance weight clears the driveshaft loop!!! you may have to put a few shims in between the loop mounting bracket and the body of the car , i know i did. if theres anymore ?'s ill gladly try by best to answer them and if i cant help ya im sure ill find someone who can! hope this helps and prevents any wasted money or time on someones ride!
Attached Thumbnails moser 9inch with UMI torque arm-picture-036.jpg   moser 9inch with UMI torque arm-picture-273.jpg   moser 9inch with UMI torque arm-picture-274.jpg   moser 9inch with UMI torque arm-picture-275.jpg   moser 9inch with UMI torque arm-picture-276.jpg  

moser 9inch with UMI torque arm-picture-277.jpg   moser 9inch with UMI torque arm-picture-281.jpg   moser 9inch with UMI torque arm-picture-283.jpg   moser 9inch with UMI torque arm-picture-289.jpg   moser 9inch with UMI torque arm-picture-290.jpg  

Old 08-04-2010, 02:12 PM
FormerVendor

Glad to hear you got it to work and good job on the fabricating.

Quick question, do you know if that Moser brand bracket/rear end? Or if it is very old? I have never seen one like that before that I recall and all Moser 9" installs we have done slide right on with no cutting or trimming. I am just curious in that the difference is with that rear end.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 08-04-2010, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

well i guess it depends on how old you mean, i bought the 9in rear about a year ago from Quick Performance. maybe they use a diffrent mounting bracket on there housing?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Project_Reaper
well i guess it depends on how old you mean, i bought the 9in rear about a year ago from Quick Performance. maybe they use a diffrent mounting bracket on there housing?
Yes I think they are making there own torque arm mount, that might be why I have never seen it. The Moser mount is different, I can't find any pictures on my desktop but I know I have some.

Anyways, glad you got it to work. Thanks!
Ryan
Old 08-04-2010, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Talking

Ok folks so you might want to get a torch and grinder ready BUT test fit your torque arm and housing bracket first!! because as Ryan has made me aware of there are companies that are making there own housing brackets. so test fit first and if you have issues then you can start trimming. thanks for the extra info ryan , very helpful not only to me but im sure someone will wind up with a diffrent housing bracket and be confused until now

Quick Reply: moser 9inch with UMI torque arm