Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bad shaking when braking

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad shaking when braking

I know enough to figure stuff like this out, but I'm at a blank and need some ideas on what to check.

I just installed a C5 vette package on my car. An aftermarket bracket, C5 calipers from a 50th anny Vette, EBC green stuff pads and some ridiculously beefy drilled/slotted rotors.

So now after they've been broken in, when I'm braking between ~40-30mph I get a really bad shaking. I can feel it coming from the front. I took my rims off and checked everything out and everything seems tight and snug. And with the size and thickness of the rotors I'm sure I can safely say I didn't warp them. And visually they look fine.

Anyone have any ideas on what else it could be? Could going to a larger rotor thrown off the balance of the tire somehow?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you balanced the wheels recently? My steering wheel would shake when decelerating due to missing weights.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FBodyPerformer
And with the size and thickness of the rotors I'm sure I can safely say I didn't warp them.
rotors can come warped brand new...

and what break in procedure did you use? if the pads aren't bedded properly they'll vibrate a bit. when I did new pads the car vibrated when braking from above 35 for a few weeks, then I autox'd it and it went away. maybe you just need to do some more braking. I would only advise hard braking if it's a mild pulsating feel. I could tell it wasn't badly warped rotors otherwise I would not have autox'd it like that.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

I bought the rotors barely used and had them turned, so I know I didn't install them warped lol I went by EBCs instructions, go to 40mph and come to a stop a couple times, then took it easy on them for the first couple hundred miles. They've been on for ~2000 miles give or take and this just started maybe ~1000 ago? I have no clue, I DD my car so I dont watch the miles too well. The rotor is still perfectly smooth in every direction so I don't think the pads didn't bed right. Maybe it is a weight came off? I'll bring my car to a friends shop and have him balance them.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:32 PM

My 99 ta shakes while braking also from High speeds also I put new rotors and brakes what else should be checked?
Old 10-04-2021, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

ten year old thread but on topic..

The things I check are:
rotor run-out, radial and lateral..
tie rod ends
ball joints
Wheel runout

I've had more than one set of tires cause horrible vibration even when properly balanced.. Just poor manufacturing.. and even good tires get fouled up.

are the wheels hub-centric? if the lugs are worn the wheel can be off center and it acts up under braking. (Honda's do this if you forget the wheel centering rings... )

You can also get a situation where there are spots on the rotor where the pads didn't deposit the film they should during break-in, so there are varying levels of "grip" between the pad and rotor, a light brush with sandpaper on the pads and rotors then re-execute the break in sequence from the pad vendor.

Old 10-09-2021, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FBodyPerformer
I know enough to figure stuff like this out, but I'm at a blank and need some ideas on what to check.

I just installed a C5 vette package on my car. An aftermarket bracket, C5 calipers from a 50th anny Vette, EBC green stuff pads and some ridiculously beefy drilled/slotted rotors.

So now after they've been broken in, when I'm braking between ~40-30mph I get a really bad shaking. I can feel it coming from the front. I took my rims off and checked everything out and everything seems tight and snug. And with the size and thickness of the rotors I'm sure I can safely say I didn't warp them. And visually they look fine.

Anyone have any ideas on what else it could be? Could going to a larger rotor thrown off the balance of the tire somehow?
Sounds like you brake rotors have excessive lateral runout, I would put a lateral runout gauge and measure your rotors.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Defective brake pads and rotor. Aftermarket don't last very long.

Quick Reply: Bad shaking when braking