Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone lowered with 315s in the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Anyone lowered with 315s in the rear?

If so what do you have done as far as suspension and how low are you? Any issues with rubbing or the wheel well cutting the outside of the tires?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming that you are sticking with the same diameter and you keep your bumpstops, I don't think lowering is much of a factor in fitment. Full compression in your suspension travel is the same as stock springs. The clearance with the tires is mostly the inner fender on the side and the outer fender lip you have to worry about. Also, depending on what offset you have for wheels, you may need to check the bumpstop clearance. I used a small 3/16th of an inch hubcentric spacer on my rear wheels and it allows me to clear the bumpstops when jacking the car up. I personally didn't want to do any grinding of the bumpstop mounts or modification with bumpstops.

So in other words, I think you still have to do similar fender clearance mods regardless of lowering or not. Hope that helps
Old 08-09-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
So in other words, I think you still have to do similar fender clearance mods regardless of lowering or not. Hope that helps
Hope your speaking strictly for camaroes cause on my t/a I didn't do anything and I have ZERO rubbing issues of any kind, zilch...17x11 & 315 sumos No BFH, no spacers, no massaging, no roll the inner lip, nothing. But I do have my bump stops.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

Could you elaborate on the fender cleanance mods?

Reason I'm asking is because I recently bought a car that is lowered with 315 Nitto 555r tires. In certain situations the tire rubs against the fender lip and it pretty much shaves some rubber off the tire. I'll have little rubber strips hanging off the edge right where the tread meets the sidewall, pissees me off considering how much these tires cost

I was thinking maybe the rear isn't centered or there something wasn't aligned properly.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Hope your speaking strictly for camaroes cause on my t/a I didn't do anything and I have ZERO rubbing issues of any kind, zilch...17x11 & 315 sumos No BFH, no spacers, no massaging, no roll the inner lip, nothing. But I do have my bump stops.
You are correct. I've even heard of cases where people put the 36mm offset 17x11 normal ZR1 wheels all around with no modification on the TA or Firebird. I mostly wanted to get the point across that if there is clearance issues that one should worry about, it's the side clearance.. which shouldn't be effected much by lowering.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
Could you elaborate on the fender cleanance mods?

Reason I'm asking is because I recently bought a car that is lowered with 315 Nitto 555r tires. In certain situations the tire rubs against the fender lip and it pretty much shaves some rubber off the tire. I'll have little rubber strips hanging off the edge right where the tread meets the sidewall, pissees me off considering how much these tires cost

I was thinking maybe the rear isn't centered or there something wasn't aligned properly.
Fender clearance mods:
-BFH (big f-ing hammer) bang the inner fender inside.
-adjustable PHB. If its rubbing on one side, you could realighn your rear end by adjusting the PHB so that the rear end shifts left or right
-If that doesn't help, you might want to consider rolling the outer fender. I had this done
-I personally went with spacers so I could get the exact clearance and spacing I wanted. If you do this, I suggest longer ARP wheel studs

You may only need a combination of all this. Try the adjustable PHB first because that could potentially fix your problem with no b*tch smacking your car up. 555rs run actually slightly less wide than most 315/35/17 tires actually. You might be able to get away with it. If you don't care about it, just get the fenders rolled.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like stated above you need an adjustable PHB if you don't already have one. Once the rear is centered you will most likely have to beat the inner wheel well (BFH mod) and/or roll the outer fender lip. This is for a Camaro. Most of the Firebird/TA guys don't have a problem.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Noob question incoming, what is rolling your fenders?

Mine rub on a stock setup when I go over bumps and am about to do a small drop, already banged out a bit with the BFH, but it sounds like theres more areas I need to work.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

PHB sounds like a good idea, just eyeballing it it doesn't look centered. I also get a creaking sound from the springs pretty frequently, especially when going up hill around a turn. Hopefully the PHB will help with this.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PHB sounds like a good idea, just eyeballing it it doesn't look centered. I also get a creaking sound from the springs pretty frequently, especially when going up hill around a turn. Hopefully the PHB will help with this.
The creaking sounds are coming from your bushings, either grease them, or if they're too worn replace them.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PHB sounds like a good idea, just eyeballing it it doesn't look centered.
A point usually lost in the exceptional amount of noise here is that the rear doesn't necessarily need to be centered, just adjusted.

Most cars (mine included) will better fit large tires if the axle is NOT centered

IIRC, I have mine offset roughly 3/8" to the driver's side.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Are you saying that with the axle being offset, the tires match up evenly with with the fender on both sides? It's confusing to me how that would be.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got 315/35/17 on the rear. No rolled fenders. I just removed my bumpstops completely and put 1/4" spacers under my G2 Super Springs. They never ever rub the fenders no matter how hard the bumps are. I'm lowered about 1 3/4" in the rear.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Fender clearance mods:
-BFH (big f-ing hammer) bang the inner fender inside.
-adjustable PHB. If its rubbing on one side, you could realighn your rear end by adjusting the PHB so that the rear end shifts left or right
-If that doesn't help, you might want to consider rolling the outer fender. I had this done
-I personally went with spacers so I could get the exact clearance and spacing I wanted. If you do this, I suggest longer ARP wheel studs

You may only need a combination of all this. Try the adjustable PHB first because that could potentially fix your problem with no b*tch smacking your car up. 555rs run actually slightly less wide than most 315/35/17 tires actually. You might be able to get away with it. If you don't care about it, just get the fenders rolled.
What he said^^ I have 315 Nittos on my 17x11 CCW Classics and I had to do everything he said. I beat the **** out of the inner fenders and the tire still rubs occasionally when I hit a big bump. It's nothing major though.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:16 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAm7779
What he said^^ I have 315 Nittos on my 17x11 CCW Classics and I had to do everything he said. I beat the **** out of the inner fenders and the tire still rubs occasionally when I hit a big bump. It's nothing major though.
Its wierd how some cars are different than others. When I put my 315's on and drove out of the tire place, I went around a hard corner on the way home and I heard the tire rub the inner well, then I did it the other way and it rubbed on that side too. When I got home I took the tires off and literally banged the spot that I saw rubbed clean on both inner wells like 3-4 smacks each side. It hasen't rubbed again no matter how I drive in the past 7+ years with 315's. I've never rubbed the fender wells on any bumps from the tires hitting them.

I'm going 335's soon and I'm gonna have to bang a whole lot more on the inner wells.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS6427
Its wierd how some cars are different than others. When I put my 315's on and drove out of the tire place, I went around a hard corner on the way home and I heard the tire rub the inner well, then I did it the other way and it rubbed on that side too. When I got home I took the tires off and literally banged the spot that I saw rubbed clean on both inner wells like 3-4 smacks each side. It hasen't rubbed again no matter how I drive in the past 7+ years with 315's. I've never rubbed the fender wells on any bumps from the tires hitting them.

I'm going 335's soon and I'm gonna have to bang a whole lot more on the inner wells.

That should be interesting. Keep us posted how that goes
Old 08-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you saying that with the axle being offset, the tires match up evenly with with the fender on both sides? It's confusing to me how that would be.
No, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that if the rear is NOT centered and therefore offset, the big tires will very often fit better / rub less. Again, I have mine set ~3/8" to the driver's side when measured from the fender. In other words, the driver's side rear tire sticks out 3/8" more than the passenger side.

The reason this helps the tires rub less is quite simple.... the axle of a PHR equipped car travels in an arc as the suspension compresses.

A lowered car will have the chassis PHR mount lower than the axle mount. This means that when the suspension compresss, the PHR effectively becomes shorter and pulls the driver's side tire into the inner fender.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

I knew I couldn't have been thinking about that right, that makes sense now
Old 08-10-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by happysem
Noob question incoming, what is rolling your fenders?

Mine rub on a stock setup when I go over bumps and am about to do a small drop, already banged out a bit with the BFH, but it sounds like theres more areas I need to work.
Look in the fender well. That "lip" on the inside is "rolled" flat. Giving you that extra space. It's not much, but helps. There is a tool that rolls the inner lip pretty easy. There are usually a couple guys on here that rent theirs out. I have also seen it done with a baseball bat.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone lowered with 315s in the rear?-fendertool.jpg  

Last edited by 99zee; 08-10-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

I'm thinking as long as that sharp edge is rolled up it's not going to cut my tires all to hell like it has been doing. I'm going to roll them tonight after work.

Quick Reply: Anyone lowered with 315s in the rear?