Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some help

Well I'm finally able to start buying parts for my car and so far I've got the exhaust and gears figured out but I need help with the suspension stuff.

I wanna lower my car and I've been reading around that if you throw in an adjustable panhard bar and some other stuff it helps greatly with traction. I'm not looking to spend a bunch of cash, I'll most likely buy some stuff used just to save a few bucks so I can rebuild my ls1 this winter or buy a shortblock to build on. I'm just looking for some help on what exactly would be good choice for suspension upgrades for a DD that is gonna see the track occasionaly next year.

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Adjustable panhard rod, LCAs (adjustable is up to your budget, not "required" if you're running smaller tires, but if you can swing the couple extra dollars, being able to tweak is nice), LCA relocation brackets, and a good shock/spring combo. SFCs are also generally considered the "must do" mod for f-body suspension, but you'll get differing opinions on them depending on who you talk to. Sways are also something to take a look at.

Poly ends on suspension pieces are generally considered the most stock-feeling, while giving a decent improvement over deflection/binding of the stock bushings; however, they can still bind and deflect some. UMI's Roto-Joint and Spohn's Del-Sphere look like a good compromise between the performance of a rod-end and the NVH benefits of a poly bushing, but they're a little more expensive than their poly counterparts.

The thing with a suspension system is that it's not really something you can replace just one component in and be done. Swapping good shocks in will make the biggest difference, but the whole suspension works together, so it's better to look at it from a complete system view, rather than a more modular view. The only really "required" things aside from shocks and springs, for a drop, are an adjustable panhard rod, so you can re-center the axle, and LCA relocation brackets, to keep the LCAs at a near stock angle (which will eliminate wheel-hop as well as improving handling).

Last edited by Element; 08-21-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^^ what he said, if youre lowering the car you will need adjustable panhard rod and torque arm to keep the suspension geometry in order. I recently had the BMR adj. torque arm, adj. panhard rod, LCAs and relocation brackets installed for the same reason, but my konis are at 119k miles and the nut on top of the shock wasnt going anywhere so the lowering springs are off until i get some new konis

needless to say at stock power level/ride height the mods still make a significant difference in how the car hooks and feels through the power band, the rear of the car definitely feels rock solid. A grand total of about 600 in parts, max. so you cant go wrong. whether you're going lower or not theyre worth every penny IMO

Last edited by buddha845; 08-21-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the help guys, sounds like I'm gonna be installing lots of goodies this winter.