Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension Bushing Grease?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question Suspension Bushing Grease?

What Suspension Bushing Grease is best to use?

Should this same grease be used to coat parts like a strut mount, to improve longevity?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any tacky full synthetic grease will do. Mobil One (red) or the like. marine grade is good as well because it is water resistant which will last longer.

And yes, packing the strut mount with grease will help with longevity
Old 10-07-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks. I assume it's ok to just coat the whole strut mount rubber with the same grease, just to improve it's longevity? These greases don't break-down the rubber over time?
Old 10-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the really sticky **** they send with Energy Suspension polyurethane products...you can buy it in larger containers, so I bought a couple and crammed it in a grease gun. It seems to work really well, and seems to stay put better than some others I've tried.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you talking about the mount where the shock bolts to the shock hat assembly? If so, as you've probably read, that area rusts pretty badly. I know a lot of people recommend putting grease up there, though I don't know if anyone has ever actually had it work well in preventing the rust.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, but also on all sides of the mount itself (like the wheel well side), or is Armor All better for that? Like the exposed sides of the rubber -- to prevent dry rot/cracking, etc.

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Are you talking about the mount where the shock bolts to the shock hat assembly? If so, as you've probably read, that area rusts pretty badly. I know a lot of people recommend putting grease up there, though I don't know if anyone has ever actually had it work well in preventing the rust.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I use the really sticky **** they send with Energy Suspension polyurethane products...you can buy it in larger containers, so I bought a couple and crammed it in a grease gun. It seems to work really well, and seems to stay put better than some others I've tried.
I hate that ****...I always forget to put nitrile gloves on before doing anything with it, then spend 10 minutes trying to scrub it off. What I call it in the garage isn't fit to write here

I've started using some stuff called Magnalube recently...actually got a small tube a while back to use as gun lube, then bought a decent-sized can of it to use out in the garage. Don't have to glop it on, a really thin coat works great. Going to be redoing the front suspension on the car this winter and I plan on using that for all the tie rods, ball joints, etc.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Where did you find that Magnalube stuff?

Originally Posted by Element
I hate that ****...I always forget to put nitrile gloves on before doing anything with it, then spend 10 minutes trying to scrub it off. What I call it in the garage isn't fit to write here

I've started using some stuff called Magnalube recently...actually got a small tube a while back to use as gun lube, then bought a decent-sized can of it to use out in the garage. Don't have to glop it on, a really thin coat works great. Going to be redoing the front suspension on the car this winter and I plan on using that for all the tie rods, ball joints, etc.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
At the **** shop
Old 10-07-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Element
I agree. It's easier to get sap off my hands I think
Old 10-07-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
You can pick it up on Amazon, it's not really too expensive at all. I think I got a quart-sized can for about $11.

At the **** shop
I left the tube of it I had out on my computer desk one night after cleaning my pistols...apartment maintenance guys came in the next day to fix the a/c while I was at work. Got some weird looks when I got back to the apartment that evening and couldn't figure out why until they left, and I saw the lube, latex gloves, and pipe cleaners on my desk
Old 10-07-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get a tube of Superlube, it the same stuff that comes in the tiny packets to put on poly bushings.

PM sent.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

LOL Water based lubricants aren't gonna cut it

At the **** shop

Quick Reply: Suspension Bushing Grease?