Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

question about installing new shocks & struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about installing new shocks & struts

I am building my car for 90% street use & occasional (maybe 2-3 times at the most per year drag racing (mostly to determine 60 ft. and 1/4 mile E.T. gains of major mods as I add them. With the exception of a Motion Control Total Prothane Poly bushing kit, my current suspension is 100% stock.

I am planning on installing a set of SLP valved Bilstein's on all 4 corners. I was wondering what else is recommended to be done while I have it apart? I do plan on a complete aftermarket suspension in increments as I am able to afford it. Does it make financial sense to replace anything else with the shocks or to enhance the performance of the new shocks with supporting additional parts?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Sincerely,

Tom Sullivan
Ellenton, FL
Old 10-28-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

There's been a recent thread discussing the poly bushings in the front suspension. I think that some argue that you are better off with rubber bushings in the front end.

Some things to note is for most people, their shock shaft nut at the top of the mount is almost always rusted stuck there. Some people end up cutting the shaft or grinding the nut off. Also if you've never changed your stock swaybar endlinks, those will most likely break.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28bryan
There's been a recent thread discussing the poly bushings in the front suspension. I think that some argue that you are better off with rubber bushings in the front end.

Some things to note is for most people, their shock shaft nut at the top of the mount is almost always rusted stuck there. Some people end up cutting the shaft or grinding the nut off. Also if you've never changed your stock swaybar endlinks, those will most likely break.
thanks for the info - I only changed the swapybar end link bushings not the sway-bars or end-links yet (they're still stock) - Ill make sure to take care of that when I replace my stock front & rear sway bars with Strano's or possibly UMI - unless you have alternative suggestion? - also - do you have any suggestions on endlink (front and rear) type for road racing ?

Are you recommending I swap swaybars & end links at the same time as I swap shocks if I can fit it in my budget or is it ok to wait?

what would you consider #1 suspension upgrade that I will notice improvement aside from shocks ?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

It's up to you. Swaybars are very easy to do by themselves. You need to disconnect one end to get the shock coilover assembly out. I was just saying that if you still have the original endlinks that you should expect them to not come off without breaking. Same thing with the shock shaft nut.

There's a lot of info around here about shock and spring recommendations. I would say swapping front springs isn't something I would want to do too often. I'll just say if your considering aftermarket springs someday, then take a serious look at Koni's right now. It's arguable that the off the shelf Bilstiens don't dampen most aftermarket springs as well over the long run. Though Bilstiens are still better options than most of the other crap out there.

Swaybars swap out easy

Quick Reply: question about installing new shocks & struts