Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tokico shocks...a good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tokico shocks...a good choice?

Hey guys just looking for some opinions about these shocks on this ebay listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Anyone know if Tokico shocks are good for Fbodys and if these will work well with lowering springs, specifically Eibachs.
There is also a listing for these shocks with lowering springs: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...item1c18911c31. I currently have Eibachs but need shocks soon and might look at getting the 2nd kit with the springs in it. What do you guys think?
Old 01-17-2011, 11:08 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

First the shocks.... For very similar money, you can have Bilstein's which are much better built, more durable, and better performing. http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7

As for the "combo", It's a "good deal" based on cost... but there is a reason the springs add only $65 to the kit.... because they are super cheap springs. They make Eibach look perfect. In other words you'd be ahead to stay on what you have vs. those. And if you want to change springs... then you can get better kits. I have a combo of the SLP Bilstein's and the Strano Springs for $620.00 http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=90&ModelID=7

It's not $420... but it's much, much better quality stuff.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Banned

Don't cheap out on springs man...
Old 01-17-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tokico Shocks are pretty decent if you can get them at a good price.. I have seen good results with Tokico's on lighter cars, but they wouldnt be my first choice on a 3400+lb car.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had them before and got Bilsteins from Sam this time instead.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

There are worse shocks, but that's not much different in price vs. Bilstein, so what are you really gaining??????

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
There are worse shocks, but that's not much different in price vs. Bilstein, so what are you really gaining??????
Exactly! Why not have a better shock & strut ? Your butt will thank you !
Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Launching!

right now i have stock shocks with my eibachs. i know thats stock shocks+Eibach springs is not ideal at all but the time is coming to buy new shocks. i assume mine are worn b/c it rides pretty rough and if i push down on the rear it bounces back about 3-4 times. that being said, does Strano have a good daily driver shock that will work with Eibachs that is priced a little less than the Bilsteins?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are KYB adjustable shocks any good?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Whether you are talking about Bilstein, KYB AGX or Tokico, you are talking in the mid to high 300 dollar per set range. And those are the minimums... anything less is complete crap.

I know you want to save a buck, who doesn't. But think about this practically for a second... $350-400 isn't outrageous for a set of shocks... you aren't going to get good tires for that! That's what a total of 7 tanks of Premium? In perspective it's not that much considering it take oil, rubber, steel and energy to make the shocks--and then to supply them too!

Can you get cheaper shocks? Yep--and you'll live to regret it. And AGX's are inferior to Bilstein's, Tokico kind of in between on built quality. Maybe you have to have the adjustment of the AGX, that would be the only reason I'd pick those over the others. And yes, aside from Koni (which are the best), I sell all 3 of the ones we are talking about here. For me it's a matter of what works best for you guys, not what I can sell. I can't think of anyone else that sells all 4 of those brands. I can, and I do--so from my view it's not a matter of what I have to sell you, it's a matter of what can I sell you that will work best for your needs.....

And one final note about the price.... I'm reading the signatures of the last two guys (as an example) and frankly don't see "cheap" stuff in the heads, cams, etc.... but yet folks want to cheap out on the suspension all the time, when in fact it's the one part of the car that works the hardest, all the time.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Whether you are talking about Bilstein, KYB AGX or Tokico, you are talking in the mid to high 300 dollar per set range. And those are the minimums... anything less is complete crap.

I know you want to save a buck, who doesn't. But think about this practically for a second... $350-400 isn't outrageous for a set of shocks... you aren't going to get good tires for that! That's what a total of 7 tanks of Premium? In perspective it's not that much considering it take oil, rubber, steel and energy to make the shocks--and then to supply them too!

Can you get cheaper shocks? Yep--and you'll live to regret it. And AGX's are inferior to Bilstein's, Tokico kind of in between on built quality. Maybe you have to have the adjustment of the AGX, that would be the only reason I'd pick those over the others. And yes, aside from Koni (which are the best), I sell all 3 of the ones we are talking about here. For me it's a matter of what works best for you guys, not what I can sell. I can't think of anyone else that sells all 4 of those brands. I can, and I do--so from my view it's not a matter of what I have to sell you, it's a matter of what can I sell you that will work best for your needs.....

And one final note about the price.... I'm reading the signatures of the last two guys (as an example) and frankly don't see "cheap" stuff in the heads, cams, etc.... but yet folks want to cheap out on the suspension all the time, when in fact it's the one part of the car that works the hardest, all the time.
Well said Sam.
I couldn't agree with you any more.
Folks always want to cheat on the suspension yet dump loads of money on power mods. Supporting suspension mods help to complete the car as a whole, from planting the rear tires better with LCA's at the occassional drag strip appearance to keeping the car stable and glued with quality shocks and springs when getting on a long sweeping freeway on ramp.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would rather have good funtioning stock shocks than tokico. But I would much rather have bilstein than stock. IMO
Old 01-18-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1SWT95Z
that being said, does Strano have a good daily driver shock that will work with Eibachs that is priced a little less than the Bilsteins?
So basically, if you are willing to pay like just a tad more (we're not even talking like Bilstien vs Koni pricing here), then you'll get a much higher quality shock. What's the difference like ~50 bucks max? If that small difference really means that much to you.. then go for the cheapo shocks. Maybe you'll like them??? Who knows? Ride quality is all subjective.. but realize that a lot of people spend more in the end when they cheap out and buy the better shocks after. So we might actually be saving you money. Think of it that way
Old 01-18-2011, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as cheap shocks go, when I bought my SS it had Monroe Sensatracs all the way around. It's only been 2 years and they're already worn out and bottoming out with stock springs. I can't wait for next month. I'm calling Mr. Strano and ordering some suspension for this thing. I'm at least going with his springs and Bilsteins. Just do it right the first time.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Launching!

well in my case, living check to check, $50 here and there matters. im thinking that im used to how crappy my car rides now with worn out stock stuff that anything new will be better. since i will have the $350-400 for the one and only time use for car stuff, i just want to get the most for my money. i really like to fact that Strano carries the products they do and i plan to buy from them. Sam what is the difference in the SLP Bilsteins and the other Bilsteins you have for sale?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

well in my case, living check to check, $50 here and there matters. im thinking that im used to how crappy my car rides now with worn out stock stuff that anything new will be better. since i will have the $350-400 for the one and only time use for car stuff, i just want to get the most for my money. i really like to fact that Strano carries the products they do and i plan to buy from them. Sam what is the difference in the SLP Bilsteins and the other Bilsteins you have for sale?
its not much of a difference go for the slp, less money.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with you man. I hope I didn't come off like a dick. I hate reading posts where someone will ask a simple question and everyone says to go with the most outrageous setup. Want 4.10 gears? Get a 3k dollar Moser.lol
Old 01-18-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

A few years ago, I think KYB shocks were about $75 to $100 cheaper per set than Bilsteins, therefore it made some sense for me to go that route since money was tight. Plus I was able to find a set of used front KYB shocks for $100. Now that KYB and Bilsteins are the essentially the same price, I went with the Bils for my new car based on the opinions of people who have tried both types.

The KYBs were a helluva lot better than the stock DeCarbons, so if money is REALLY tight, you might want to try to find a set of used KYBs on this forum since it seems a lot of us are ditching them for Bilsteins, but they're still going to run about $250 to $300 for the set, meaning you're saving around $100, which isn't chump change, but I bet you'd be able make up the diff and get the Bilsteins by begging, borrowing the extra $$$ from family/friends.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

You'd be better off waiting a bit, dealing with the ride, and saving up the extra $$$ for the good stuff (Bilsteins in this case)....at least that's my opinion.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie

It's your call. Ride preference is all subjective. Maybe you'll like the cheaper shocks.. maybe you wont? They won't dampen lowering springs very well, but apparantly not everyone minds that. What if $50 bucks meant the difference between a huge gap in shock quality? It's up to you to determine if it's worth it to you vs what you think you'll want your car to ride like.

Quick Reply: Tokico shocks...a good choice?