Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Looking for opinions on what to do next

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for opinions on what to do next

Been trying to read up, but don't really know much about suspension stuff. I'd like to do some suspension mods, but not sure which direction to go or where to start. Only thing I've got right now is some LCA relocation brackets

Mainly street, little bit of track
Old 04-13-2011, 09:59 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont buy suspension stuff if you want to go faster. Everybody knows the more power you have the faster the car.
Save your money for nitrous.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bds001
Been trying to read up, but don't really know much about suspension stuff. I'd like to do some suspension mods, but not sure which direction to go or where to start. Only thing I've got right now is some LCA relocation brackets

Ok....so mostly straight line or are you into corning as well?

For a street car, good shocks (not stock replacements) are about the best upgrade. If you're not planning on lowering, Bilsteins are a great option, with Koni's also being great if you might lower or want more control.

Lower control arms can help with your traction, as can a torque arm, but it comes down to your budget and what you want (different types of driving styles might lean towards different bushings, etc.) as to what you should get or what you can wait on.

Other options include sway bars, new panhard bar, etc. etc. etc. What's your budget and what do you want to change?

Originally Posted by mkvamso
Dont buy suspension stuff if you want to go faster. Everybody knows the more power you have the faster the car.
I hope you were joking....
Old 04-14-2011, 03:45 AM
8 Second Club

Top fuel dragsters dont have springs and torque arms or lower control arms, but they do have 7000 hp and they run 3's
More power is better
Old 04-14-2011, 04:39 AM
Staging Lane

Top fuel dragsters dont have springs and torque arms or lower control arms, but they do have 7000 hp and they run 3's
More power is better
ummm yeh but are cars are not top fuel dragsters nor could they ever be one so
Old 04-14-2011, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

Dudes right. . . not like you want the power to actually go to the ground... more power=less traction... smart call.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

If I was you I would start out with subframe connectors. They are one of the best upgrades I have done. It does not matter if you are draggin the car or just driving on the street they make a huge difference in the way the car handles and feels. After that I would recommed a set of shocks and springs....the sky is the limit but bilsteins and konis with Strano springs are the number 1 pick. konis are going to cost around a grand and bilsteins are about 400 so its up to you. then get into sway bars, torque arms , LCAs, and panhard bars
Old 04-14-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

More power is better
I guess it's time for OP to take his entire rear suspension out.

BTW....do you have any idea how the suspension works in these cars?

Originally Posted by Duffster
Dudes right. . . not like you want the power to actually go to the ground... more power=less traction... smart call.
It would be good for a smoke show

Originally Posted by 6speedt/a
If I was you I would start out with subframe connectors. They are one of the best upgrades I have done. It does not matter if you are draggin the car or just driving on the street they make a huge difference in the way the car handles and feels. After that I would recommed a set of shocks and springs....the sky is the limit but bilsteins and konis with Strano springs are the number 1 pick. konis are going to cost around a grand and bilsteins are about 400 so its up to you. then get into sway bars, torque arms , LCAs, and panhard bars
For the record, Koni's are around $800 (just checked, around $735 for the 4/3 setup), not a grand, but they are considerably more expensive than Bilsteins. Key differences are that they're adjustable and have a wider range of dampening to work with lowering springs. Plus, the fronts allow you to lower your car without swapping springs.

Lowering springs are kind of a mixed bag. The car usually looks better, and (depending on the rates) it can handle better too. However, less suspension travel + higher rates = less on road comfort. They're a good option, but don't feel that they're necessary to upgrade the suspension. Shocks and sways make a larger difference with handling than springs do.

Also, I'd recommend shocks (and springs if you want) before SFC's. Sometimes it's just the lack of dampening on these cars that makes them feel loose, and new shocks can solve this without ever having to stick anything else under your car.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

More power is better
This guy is my idol, sigged.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:53 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bds001

What are you doing with the car? street/strip or roadcourse/autocross? this will make a difference in what we suggest is right for you and your car in the end without spending money twice.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:52 PM
8 Second Club

Lol it was a joke
The op is a friend of mine

The car has 400 hp +- and at the track it was nothing but a smoke show through first gear no matter what rpm he launched at. Just wanted to know some good bang for the buck suspension mods to help get it out of the hole.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

Lol it was a joke
The op is a friend of mine

The car has 400 hp +- and at the track it was nothing but a smoke show through first gear no matter what rpm he launched at. Just wanted to know some good bang for the buck suspension mods to help get it out of the hole.
Ah, gotcha. Well it's in the sig anyway and I don't feel like going through the hassle of changing it lol.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:16 PM
8 Second Club

Lol
I thought it was hilarious
Old 04-15-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol
I thought it was hilarious
Haha, alright. I thought you were honestly trying to give advice
Old 04-22-2011, 11:13 PM
8 Second Club

lol, the op is one of my best friends. He bought a set of nittos and a catch can. suspension stuff will come next.

its mostly street driven with an occasional trip to the strip.
sfc and lca's sound like a good place to start?
Old 04-23-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
For the record, Koni's are around $800 (just checked, around $735 for the 4/3 setup), not a grand, but they are considerably more expensive than Bilsteins. Key differences are that they're adjustable and have a wider range of dampening to work with lowering springs. Plus, the fronts allow you to lower your car without swapping springs.

Lowering springs are kind of a mixed bag. The car usually looks better, and (depending on the rates) it can handle better too. However, less suspension travel + higher rates = less on road comfort. They're a good option, but don't feel that they're necessary to upgrade the suspension. Shocks and sways make a larger difference with handling than springs do.

Also, I'd recommend shocks (and springs if you want) before SFC's. Sometimes it's just the lack of dampening on these cars that makes them feel loose, and new shocks can solve this without ever having to stick anything else under your car.
Stop trying to preach a common sense approach to suspension modification that starts with the weakest stock component (OEM shocks with terrible damping for anything).