Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sway bar question. What kind of difference will I notice going from 32/19 to 32/21?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar question. What kind of difference will I notice going from 32/19 to 32/21?

Got a good deal on a set of 32/21 Eibach sway bars I'll be putting in place of my stock 32/19 set up on my LS1 SS. Going to upgrade bushing and end links. Will I notice a big difference or should I sell off my 32mm front bar and buy a 35mm and run a 35/21 set up? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the front Eibach solid? How is the front one an upgrade from stock?

If they are anything like the "original 1LE" set of 32/21 bars then I don't see how this is an upgrade at all. There is a reason that the 1LE went back to the 19mm rear bar after a whole 1 year of production. You might find that the rear is looser. If that is what you want then I suppose it is an upgrade.

Your theoretical 35mm front 21mm rear setup is a completely different can of worms. It would be "better" than 32mm/21mm setup.

All that said, I am making assumptions about your spring rates and wheel / tire package. They are probably good assumptions but...

edit: the only Eibach bars I can see on their website for 98+ cars are 35mm f and 25mm rear.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Seller told me they were 32/21 however upon looking at Eibach's website last night I discovered just what you did, but a google search does show an Eibach 32/21mm anti-roll kit existed at some point that fit 93-02 Fbodies. That's basically why I asked this question, the front bar may not be an improvement over stock (I got both for a little over $100). However the rear is an improvement over stock if paired with an improved front sway bar. So I could buy a 35mm front and pair it with my 21mm rear if needed, which I believe is what Jim Strano runs as he seems very adamant that a 25mm rear bar is much too big.

I'll check the sizes when they arrive and see if the front bar hollow or solid. Any other thoughts/suggestions?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

I think I found the set, it is supposed to be like the original 1LE setup, but I don't know their thickness or if they are hollow or solid.

It is all a question of balance, not really better. A bigger bar isn't better just because it is bigger. Going from 32mm hollow front, 19mm solid rear to a 32mm front, 21mm rear isn't an upgrade in the rear, it is an increase in stiffness in the rear with increased tendency toward oversteer.

I wouldn't bother with the 32/21 combination at all since you already have a 32mm front bar. If you want to improve then you should think about a bigger bar up front as it not only reduces roll but improves the camber control. The rear bar size should be chosen to balance the car...
Old 11-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd put them on, if they are indeed bigger, and try to see if you like the balance of the car. I've driven cars on oval tracks which are way too loose for one driver and perfect for another. Who knows, you might like the balance your car has.

Good luck.

ramey
Old 11-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Thanks Matt and Ramey, I'm truly a noob when it comes to suspension setup and geometry. When they get here and I see whats going on, I may pm you both. I appreciate your contribution to this thread though!
Old 11-14-2011, 03:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

First fact. ONLY 1993 1LE's had a 32/21 combination, all the other years were 32/19. I wish this 32/21 = 1LE automatically would die, fact is many, many more are the other way. Funny, folks call Koni DA's "1LE" but 94-95 cars didn't have them, but that's never mentioned.

32/21 is too rear biased. I run a similar stiffness bar in the back--but with a 35mm (read: much stiffer) front bar to balance it. In fact the relative balance of a 32/19 is about what my bars are balanced like (my rear a tiny bit stiffer relatively)... and that's what I want. I want the bigger bars for more roll control, not to make the rear a lot stiffer. The rear bar being too stiff is problematic for a solid axle car, let alone one that doesn't weigh that much back there.

And you'd be adding a bunch of front weight for no reason vs. the stock 32mm hollow bar you seem to have already.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Sam, I'm glad you chimed in...was considering PMing you but just hadnt done it yet. What I'm leaning towards doing is purchasing one of your 35mm front bars and putting the 21mm from this purchase on the rear. What are your thoughts on that 35/21 set up? Thanks a ton!
Old 11-14-2011, 04:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Let me ask you, what would you be saving by doing that? You can certainly do exactly that, but if you paid, say $200, for the set of bars you have then add my front bar--you would have basically spent the same as a set of my bars, complete with a hollow rear bar (lighter, and the new hardware/bushings too). Then you can pass Eibach set along to someone else and make some money back.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
First fact. ONLY 1993 1LE's had a 32/21 combination, all the other years were 32/19. I wish this 32/21 = 1LE automatically would die
I was the one who brought up 1LE in this thread with this exact quote:
Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
If they are anything like the "original 1LE" set of 32/21 bars then I don't see how this is an upgrade at all. There is a reason that the 1LE went back to the 19mm rear bar after a whole 1 year of production.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Fair enough, I'm just saying that the idea that the 32/21 = 1LE is false, and most don't realize that the rational for this was that the '93 only cars got standard rear springs and 1LE rate fronts, so they also got some more rear bar (which HAZ-Matt knows but most do not).
Old 11-14-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im still trying to figure out who Jim Strano is...perhaps Sam's evil twin, separated at birth, and now he goes around giving bad suspension advice
Old 11-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VinR1
Im still trying to figure out who Jim Strano is...perhaps Sam's evil twin, separated at birth, and now he goes around giving bad suspension advice
I meant Sam, you'll have to forgive me. I'm moving this week so packing the house, working the logistics of moving three cars and a moving truck 120mi and the better half and I both starting with new employers.

Sam that may certainly be the better approach and more strait forward. I paid $100 for these Eibach bars and admittedly didn't do my research beforehand. Hopefully it won't be too hard to get my Money back out of them.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Contrary to some beliefs, your car isn't going to blow up. Are they the best bars on the market? No. Are they the best sizes and weights? No, but they are going to provide more roll control and make your car more fun on the street. For $100, you can't complain with that. You'll probably be able to sell them for $100 too, if you don't like them.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ignoring the fact I never claimed the car would blow up, or anything of the sort: *I* was trying to explain my reasoning, which I usually do. If you have nothing constructive to add, then please don't bother, unless you are trying to bolster you post count.

Are they going to provide more roll control? Really? I mean, he already has a 32mm front bar on the car. And most of the roll you feel and respond to is in the front, the rear bar is the primarily to help balance. Running too much rear bar relative to the front isn't good. Presumably the idea behind upgrading parts is to make the car handle better and easier to drive faster, is it not? Well, at least that's how I work.......
Old 11-15-2011, 12:04 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The post was not directed at you. People blast the Eibach bars all over place because of their short comings. I was merely saying they will help and for the $100 you spend, it's worth a shot to try them out. Not everyone has the budget for our bars, Sam. I was there when I was younger, just buying deals and seeing if I liked what I installed. When I got money I started buying all the good stuff.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-15-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Contrary to some beliefs, your car isn't going to blow up. Are they the best bars on the market? No.
Nobody claimed anything like that though, at least not in this thread. Some of us said it wasn't an upgrade. Most of us said it changed the balance, which most likely wasn't for the better, although of course it depends on the rest of the car and somewhat on preference.

The only place it might add a small amount of "roll control" is the rear which is stiffer... but the bulk of roll control comes from the front. All he is really doing is moving the balance towards oversteer. Is it always going to be loose? No. But there will be a difference with how much you can get on the throttle coming out of a turn.

If anything you have more lattitude with the front since it's side affect is better camber control and somewhat counterbalances what would otherwise be a move towards understeer.

For $100, you can't complain with that. You'll probably be able to sell them for $100 too, if you don't like them.
I agree that the deal was decent, but it isn't the best investment considering the hardware he already has. I think he would be better off to flip them to someone else. Someone that has different spring balance or a lot more rear grip than front.

I'm just trying to give the guy an honest opinion based on my experience with these cars. I run 35mm/22mm currently and that works well for me. When I had my V6, I ran 32mm 1LE bar up front with the stock 15mm solid rear. The spring rate balance is a little different on the V6s, but like the V8s they benefit more from front bar than rear.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Launching!

I do appreciate all of the input and I admittedly did not do my research and pulled the trigger in these bars very quickly. I have a friend with a 2000 Z28 that will buy these bars off me for what I have in them and I'll just pull the trigger on a set of Sam's bars in December.

Quick Reply: Sway bar question. What kind of difference will I notice going from 32/19 to 32/21?