Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how noticeable is 32mm sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how noticeable is 32mm sway bar

ok i have heard that upgrading the sway bar is super noticeable but that was on mostly stock suspension vehicles. I wanna find a decent priced 32mm hollow bar off the WS6 or SS. The thing is i already have the ES poly bushings, strut brace, Eibach lowering springs, Bilstein shocks and Hotchkis trailing arms so its a pretty firm ride already w/ not much body roll. Now will I be able to feel a big difference or will the suspension stuff I already have kind of mask the thicker bar? any help is greatly appreciated bc i would rather spend the money on something else if i wont be able to notice a difference.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey btate. What front bar do you have on the car now? Rear bar?

Adding front bar on a balanced car will tend to make the car understeer (push). So if you're already happy with the balance, you may not want to add more front bar.

There are occasions where adding front bar can cure a push because of a reduction in suspension geometry change (where the body roll is messing with the tire's camber).

Are you street driving, track day driving or auto-xing?

In the case of street driving, flatter may feel better in general regardless of overall balance. A nice, flat responsive street car is a good thing.

ramey
Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by btate868
ok i have heard that upgrading the sway bar is super noticeable but that was on mostly stock suspension vehicles. I wanna find a decent priced 32mm hollow bar off the WS6 or SS. The thing is i already have the ES poly bushings, strut brace, Eibach lowering springs, Bilstein shocks and Hotchkis trailing arms so its a pretty firm ride already w/ not much body roll. Now will I be able to feel a big difference or will the suspension stuff I already have kind of mask the thicker bar? any help is greatly appreciated bc i would rather spend the money on something else if i wont be able to notice a difference.
I actually did this mod about 10 years ago and I was pretty happy with it because it was a somewhat noticeable mod that only cost me like $75 from a local buddy. Knowing what I know now, I would just wait and by a good set of aftermarket bars. Sway bars are designed to work together. The front size was chosen to work with the rear, and vice versa. Will it be noticeable? Well, it will probably make the car understeer toward the limit, but it will make the front feel slightly tighter before the threshold. If you're not getting a killer deal on one, you should just wait things out, IMO.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
I actually did this mod about 10 years ago and I was pretty happy with it because it was a somewhat noticeable mod that only cost me like $75 from a local buddy. Knowing what I know now, I would just wait and by a good set of aftermarket bars. Sway bars are designed to work together. The front size was chosen to work with the rear, and vice versa. Will it be noticeable? Well, it will probably make the car understeer toward the limit, but it will make the front feel slightly tighter before the threshold. If you're not getting a killer deal on one, you should just wait things out, IMO.
ok cool so since they work together when you buy them as a pair you would just hold out and buy both, i was gonna buy one off a guy on ebay for 90 shipping incuded then buy the poly bushings and endlinks seperate.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hey btate. What front bar do you have on the car now? Rear bar?

Adding front bar on a balanced car will tend to make the car understeer (push). So if you're already happy with the balance, you may not want to add more front bar.

There are occasions where adding front bar can cure a push because of a reduction in suspension geometry change (where the body roll is messing with the tire's camber).

Are you street driving, track day driving or auto-xing?

In the case of street driving, flatter may feel better in general regardless of overall balance. A nice, flat responsive street car is a good thing.

ramey
i just have the factory bars which i believe are 30mm front and 19mm rear. this is a DD but me and a buddy are considering some auto cross.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:49 PM
12 Second Club

Most people would also sway you towards better pads/rotors and flush you brakes with better fluid. And run good tires. Then do shocks. If this front bar is good, and comparable to most aftermarket bars. Then buy it and find a matching rear bar. I did the same as BMR tech said. Bigger front and stock rear. I should have done shocks first. Saw a bigger improvement. Edit. Sorry. Seen you already have all that. So why not and you may find the matching rear.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:15 PM
FormerVendor

I'd put the bigger bar on the front and if it doesn't rotate enough in your auto-x, start looking for a larger rear bar.

Ramey
Old 12-14-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Strano's hollow 35/22 bars made my SS much more fun and flat in corners -- a world of difference from the 32/19. I would go the later in a V6 (which I did on my RS), but the V8 deserves the bigger hollow bars. Try it, you'll like it.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the Spohn 32/22 Chromoly setup and the big thing is that it balances out the handling. That combined with the strano springs gets a really good handling setup. I noticed a big difference with the sway bar change both with the springs. The car turns in really well and has a good balance with the ability to rotate when I want it to for autox.

The key is balance. If you have a super tight front end and a loose rear, or vice versa, you'll probably be worse off than before.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Teching In

i greatly appreciate every ones responses , i deff think i will end up buying them as a pair since i was told that often times if the front is to thick you have to buy the rear to even it out anyway
Old 12-14-2011, 06:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

A 32mm front with a 19mm is fine balance wise. You won't (and shouldn't) run a bigger rear bar with a 32 in front. The balance is good, in fact my bars and 35/22's in general, are balanced very similarly.... just with a whole lot less body roll.

I of course carry my bars. I also have others, including UMI's which are the same size but solid which makes them a good bit heavier (you trade cost for weight). We use somewhat different hardware as well and I'm a little partial to the links and bushings I use....

I also have other things, like Hotchkis bars and Adjustable rear bars (Hotchkis and Strano) if you want some more flexibility in tuning the balance/response of the car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-14-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I started off by using only the front Spohn 32mm bar and noticed a big difference (but I was on complete stock suspension). Once I added the rear later the suspension only improved. If you're just DDng I'd say you're fine with just the front if you maybe can't afford them both at the same time.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Teching In

i had one more question, are the Eibach sways tubular or solid? i see on their site it says tubular but on other sites for the same P/N it says solid.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

30/19 to 32/19 wasn't a big change on my car, but 32/19 to 35/21 was HUGE
Old 12-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
30/19 to 32/19 wasn't a big change on my car, but 32/19 to 35/21 was HUGE
Im glad you said that bc the guy with the WS6 32mm hollow front actually has the rear also but ill be spending like 150 after both of those plus new bushings and endlinks. I should prob just buy a brand new front and rear kit with endlinks and bushings for a little over 300 and know ill deff see a big improvement.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:47 AM
FormerVendor

Santa is going to be having some special pricing at UMI starting Dec 23rd...
Old 12-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Teching In

haha that sounds like good stuff, if any of these sales are on sway bars i may be making a purchase
Old 12-17-2011, 12:07 PM
FormerVendor

Oh yes, of course sway bars are on the list.

Merry Christmas

ramey
Old 12-17-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by btate868
Im glad you said that bc the guy with the WS6 32mm hollow front actually has the rear also but ill be spending like 150 after both of those plus new bushings and endlinks. I should prob just buy a brand new front and rear kit with endlinks and bushings for a little over 300 and know ill deff see a big improvement.
Yeah I would hold off and get the bigger bars, I got my 32mm for free so it was better than nothing but I wouldn't pay over $50 for one after trying 35/21

I had UMI bars on my car and they were great, only swapped them out because I got a steal on hollow ones
Old 12-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
Yeah I would hold off and get the bigger bars, I got my 32mm for free so it was better than nothing but I wouldn't pay over $50 for one after trying 35/21

I had UMI bars on my car and they were great, only swapped them out because I got a steal on hollow ones
what brand are the hollow ones? most ppl would prob say just go with solid its not like your cutting 100lbs but i to prefer hollow ones.

Quick Reply: how noticeable is 32mm sway bar