Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suspension advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension advice needed

I'm looking at getting my whole suspension redone , I just don't know where to start , I've been looking at parts and it's a bit over whelming . there's the round or square control arms along with some parts being made out of chrome moly . What i know that its a light stronger metal , if I read right. Another is that I'm looking at getting 17s in the rear with 330 wide could I lower my ride? Along with every thing else there's the k member and coil over . What's the benefits having coil over over regular strut and spring set up?
Old 02-20-2012, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by crashtech
I'm looking at getting my whole suspension redone , I just don't know where to start , I've been looking at parts and it's a bit over whelming . there's the round or square control arms along with some parts being made out of chrome moly . What i know that its a light stronger metal , if I read right. Another is that I'm looking at getting 17s in the rear with 330 wide could I lower my ride? Along with every thing else there's the k member and coil over . What's the benefits having coil over over regular strut and spring set up?
First you need to decide what you want to do with your car (drag, handling, ride quality etc. - you set it up one way it can hurt the other) and what exactly you want to change about it.
Second if you have a 4th gen Fbody you have coilovers, not struts, 3rd gens and 5th gens have struts. Im going to assume you meant adjustable coilovers, in that case the only advantage would be the fact you can adjust ride height to your liking.
Check out these threads as well:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...eal-world.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...view-long.html
Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by crashtech
Haha, it can certainly be overwhelming. Thankfully, you came to the right place to ask. What we will need to know is what you're looking to do with your car. There are some parts you will need and many you won't need, but wanting them all is just fine too. LOL

The best place to start can be shocks for some people, and subframe connectors for others, while lower control arms are the first on the list for some. If you can give me an idea what you're looking to do with the car, what you want from the car, and what you would like to change, I can suggest a modification path you could take to achieve those goals.

-Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what I would like to achieve is something i can take to the track and it not lose control and/or break , eventually this will just be a weekend car aka track/show , i've seen adj this adj that chrome moly and I need to know the difference from getting nonadj to adj ect

Quick Reply: suspension advice needed