Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

"Hop" style vibration at 65+

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Hop" style vibration at 65+

I'm seriously about to strip this car down and part it out at this point.

I bought a 00TA in Feb of 11 and have been fighting a hop/vibration since I bought it. Here's what I have done so far.

T56 swap stage 2 with 10Kmi (problem persisted with both trans combos)
Moser 9" (purshased brand new)
New aluminum driveshaft made to fit the 9"
Founders LCA's and relocation brackets
BMR SFC's
Bilstein's all 4 corners with Eibach sport line kit
New to the car Corvette wheels (vibrated with old wheels too)
Fresh allignment with 0 thrust angle
Homemade torquearm relocation bracket (vibrated before and after)
I know for a fact that the car has never been in an accident.

I had an adjustable torquearm on it but took it off since it didn't fit well on the 9". It vibrated with that one on it as well as the stock one.

The pinion angle is -2 right where it belongs.

My problem is that when it gets up to about 65 or so it starts to shake/vibrate/hop. I can feel it in the seat and in the back of my head. It's not RPM related nor does it seem to be engine related. I have been going down hill and shut the engine off coasting around the 70ish range and it was still doing it.

Literally, I've replaced EVERYTHING from the engine on back. I'm really upset here. I love the car but it drives like a pile of ****. I really can't see a reason for the shaking to still be there. Can anyone help me please?

Last edited by Alex41; 05-08-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

I have the same exact issue right now. Thought it was the rear tires had them balanced, no change still vibrates. Its when I am between 65-70mph below that the vibration goes away. I had the guy who did my alignment and tire balance drive it and he said he thinks it's in the rearend. Drives me insane!!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many sets of tires?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

So far I've been through 4 different sets of tires between 2 sets of rims and no change.

DSP Dave, is this rear end by chance a Moser 9"? I've heard horror stories about them being bent from the "factory".
Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Nope just a factory 10 bolt(stock) but the guy who had the car before me said he changed the gears from 3.43 to a set of Richmond 3.73 gears, not sure if you can mess this up or not but that was going to be my next thing to check. Like you been through different tires and rims and even put in new u-joints and changed the driveshaft, no change at all. Has to be something in the rearend.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Launching!

My car started doing this after I did strano springs, bilstein shocks, and new wheels/tires. Took the front tires back and had them rebalanced. Went away a little, but still there. Mine is from about 55-65. EDIT: And it didn't do it before these mods.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

These cars are known for their vibration issues. The factory stamped suspension pieces ate up a lot of the driveline vibes. I actually have one right now that I am chasing. Do you have an adjustable torque arm? I have one and I have gotten the vibration to go away all the way up to about 85mph. I have to keep adjusting it. Sometimes it only takes a quarter-half turn on the torque arm. Good luck I know how frustrating it is.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could it be due to some angle change from welded SFCs?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

Mine did it before the SFC and lowering springs and shocks and any other mods. Its weird its only between 65-70mph, slow down to 60 and it goes away, speed up to 75 and it goes away. I guess I'll just stop driving between 65-70.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Is the vibration coming from the front or rear? I had a vibration in the front. chased it for a while. then my steering rack went bad replaced it and got it aligned and that took care of my issue.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

Well...After having been a trained GM tech for years I've come to the conclusion that the hop from my seat area is from the rear of the car.

I had this issue before and after EVERY part I've installed so far to include an adjustable torque arm and sfc's.

I've replaced the rack and had it alligned at least 3 times so far due to changes made to the suspension with no change.

Yesterday I replaced the last part that couples the car with the road, the front hubs. I have to say, so far, so good. Even my 7 year old son was commenting on how less "shaky" it was back there to him. I'm not going to call this case closed just yet since everything seems ok for the first few days then goes back to being a paint shaker after that but I have high hopes this time. Thanks. Alex.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:42 AM
Staging Lane

Same issue here........replaced tires, balanced, rebuilt rearend, swap a4 to m6, new transmount, new shocks, and have to say only thing that helped a tad bit was when I replaced the motor mounts.....ghe last thing on my list is the front hubs I hope that fixes it

Quick Reply: "Hop" style vibration at 65+