Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Squeaky rear end

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Squeaky rear end

Im not sure whats causing this squeak from the rearend, but in the video Im grabbing the drivers t-top and shaking the car, and it also happens when someone shuts the doors. I have a UMI adjustable torque arm, Lakewood LCAs, Bilstien shocks, Hotchkis springs and a stock panhard rod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZeyPOOjYtU
Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by uLs1a
Im not sure whats causing this squeak from the rearend, but in the video Im grabbing the drivers t-top and shaking the car, and it also happens when someone shuts the doors. I have a UMI adjustable torque arm, Lakewood LCAs, Bilstien shocks, Hotchkis springs and a stock panhard rod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZeyPOOjYtU
Put your stock LCA's back on and try again.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really hard to tell from the video, but it's got an exhaust pipe type sound to me. Try shaking the muffler around and see it makes that noise.

Jon
Old 05-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Teching In

I'd start with the sway bars. Not sure how there mounted on an f-body buy the c5 vette sways have a bushings that dry out. I wrapped my sways under the bushings with tephlon tape and no more squeeks. Hope this helps
Old 05-10-2012, 07:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Make sure the Lakewood LCAs are greased up after that I would check the factory sway bar bushings. I would just spray some WD-40 or something similar on the bushings and see if the noise temporarly goes away and if it does that will be your culprit. I know on my 99 T/A they squeaked like crazy once they got some age to them. If it is the sway bar bushings Prothan and Energy Supsension both make factory replacements or you could do what I did and use it as a time to upgrade sway bars.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Teching In

When did u start noticing the sound? I had something similar happen to me after I installed stranos and found out it was just that rubber piece (spring isolator i think?) above the springs in the rear wasn't lined up right so their was a little metal on metal contact. Once I straightened it out, it was gone. Only mentioning since u have hotchiks springs. Hope it helps.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanna say its some bushings. If the car sits over night and it won't make that noise in the morning, it only does it after driving for a while.

Quick Reply: Squeaky rear end