Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lets Talk Brake Kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lets Talk Brake Kits

So I have a full weight 02 Camaro currently with stock brakes. I am shopping an upgrade on the fronts (for now) as most folks comment that the rears are totally adequate with the proper pad. I have access to preferential pricing on GM products thru a dealer friend, and I am a dealer for Wilwood Brakes. Obviously I want better braking. The car will likely be 50% autox, 30% road course and 20% street (but during parts of the year those could change). So I need a well rounded braking setup, and Pad selection will be key. I don't want to run dedicated race pads, autox pads, and street pads, as at least at this point, as I just don't have the time to be swapping pads all the time with work and remodeling our house. Im not saying cost is not an option, because it is, but I'm willing to pay a little more for the aftermarkets if they are worth it.

I called Wilwood last week and discussed my situation...the guy I talked to suggested Forged Narrow Superlite 6R Big Brake Front Brake Kit (Hat) over the
Superlite 6R Big Brake Front Brake Kit (Race). They said the pad on the race brake wouldn't work well (not rotor friendly) for the street. BUT pads can be swapped right? They recommended their BP-20 pad for my specific needs.

Obviously the other good option is a C6 base or Z06 kit. I could purchase track brackets, buy the parts thru the discounted dealer and be out the door fairly affordably I suppose. This kit probably doesn't have the asthetics of the other kit.

So if you guys were me, which front brake kit would you go with? What reports or history do we have on the Wilwoods? What front/rear pads should I plan on running?

Thanks for any and all assistance!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

I'm in the same boat and curious about this as well...
Old 06-25-2012, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pharmd
So I have a full weight 02 Camaro currently with stock brakes. I am shopping an upgrade on the fronts (for now) as most folks comment that the rears are totally adequate with the proper pad. I have access to preferential pricing on GM products thru a dealer friend, and I am a dealer for Wilwood Brakes. Obviously I want better braking. The car will likely be 50% autox, 30% road course and 20% street (but during parts of the year those could change). So I need a well rounded braking setup, and Pad selection will be key. I don't want to run dedicated race pads, autox pads, and street pads, as at least at this point, as I just don't have the time to be swapping pads all the time with work and remodeling our house. Im not saying cost is not an option, because it is, but I'm willing to pay a little more for the aftermarkets if they are worth it.

I called Wilwood last week and discussed my situation...the guy I talked to suggested Forged Narrow Superlite 6R Big Brake Front Brake Kit (Hat) over the
Superlite 6R Big Brake Front Brake Kit (Race). They said the pad on the race brake wouldn't work well (not rotor friendly) for the street. BUT pads can be swapped right? They recommended their BP-20 pad for my specific needs.

Obviously the other good option is a C6 base or Z06 kit. I could purchase track brackets, buy the parts thru the discounted dealer and be out the door fairly affordably I suppose. This kit probably doesn't have the asthetics of the other kit.

So if you guys were me, which front brake kit would you go with? What reports or history do we have on the Wilwoods? What front/rear pads should I plan on running?

Thanks for any and all assistance!
What are your objectives? In SCCA autocross classing, I believe that changing out the calipers will put you in SM (unless they approved bigger brakes in SP, can't remember), which is a fairly deep area to swim.

Unless you are bound and determined to put bigger brakes on the car, I'd put a well made rotor on the car, some good high performance pads (HP or HP+ pads come to mind), and keep the system bled with some good brake fluid. I'd save the money and put it towards some good shocks / springs / tires.

Having said that, I've upgraded to the old Porsche 996tt setup, but I'm in SM to a wide variety of other reasons (LS3 swap being the big one).
Old 06-25-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01badz28
What are your objectives? In SCCA autocross classing, I believe that changing out the calipers will put you in SM (unless they approved bigger brakes in SP, can't remember), which is a fairly deep area to swim.

Unless you are bound and determined to put bigger brakes on the car, I'd put a well made rotor on the car, some good high performance pads (HP or HP+ pads come to mind), and keep the system bled with some good brake fluid. I'd save the money and put it towards some good shocks / springs / tires.

Having said that, I've upgraded to the old Porsche 996tt setup, but I'm in SM to a wide variety of other reasons (LS3 swap being the big one).
Im not going to be racing SCCA probably. I will be doing American Street Car Series (pro-touring) events, and some open track/HPDE type deals. The street car series does autox, road course and speed stop. The car is making in the neighborhood of 500rwhp now (408 LS2). I know that puts me in with the big boys if I were doing SCCA...that is why I'm not. I just dont think with that kind of power, the stock setup (even with upgraded calipers) will be adequate. And some of the aftermarket setups not only are more potent, but they are lighter than stock....and that is never a bad thing.

I have read where alot of fbody guys run those porsche brakes...What other pieces are you seeing? Have you heard anything on those Wilwoods I linked to in the original post?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Your amount of power really doesn't matter. It all depends on what the speeds are you are planning to take your car to and if they need to work for longer sessions. Road courses you may want to upgrade over stock caliper hardware and rotors.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Im not going to be racing SCCA probably. I will be doing American Street Car Series (pro-touring) events, and some open track/HPDE type deals. The street car series does autox, road course and speed stop. The car is making in the neighborhood of 500rwhp now (408 LS2). I know that puts me in with the big boys if I were doing SCCA...that is why I'm not. I just dont think with that kind of power, the stock setup (even with upgraded calipers) will be adequate. And some of the aftermarket setups not only are more potent, but they are lighter than stock....and that is never a bad thing.

I have read where alot of fbody guys run those porsche brakes...What other pieces are you seeing? Have you heard anything on those Wilwoods I linked to in the original post?
Gotcha. FWIW I've run RTTH nearly every year since they started doing autocrosses, and I never have a hard time posting times in either the top 10 (stock motor w/ upgraded shocks / springs) or top 5 (cammed LS1 or cammed LS3 w/ upgraded shocks / springs) all with stock brakes. This year will be my first Run To event with the upgraded brakes, but I don't think they will make to big of a difference in the autocross portion. Seat time will net you better results than bigger brakes.

I didn't go with Wilwood setup mainly due to the fact I got a screaming deal on the Porsche stuff. Plus if I need pads / rotors they are pretty easy to get. Personally, I've driven a b-body Impala with a 4 piston Wilwood setup and it worked very well. Good luck with whatever you end up deciding to go with.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01badz28
Gotcha. FWIW I've run RTTH nearly every year since they started doing autocrosses, and I never have a hard time posting times in either the top 10 (stock motor w/ upgraded shocks / springs) or top 5 (cammed LS1 or cammed LS3 w/ upgraded shocks / springs) all with stock brakes. This year will be my first Run To event with the upgraded brakes, but I don't think they will make to big of a difference in the autocross portion. Seat time will net you better results than bigger brakes.

I didn't go with Wilwood setup mainly due to the fact I got a screaming deal on the Porsche stuff. Plus if I need pads / rotors they are pretty easy to get. Personally, I've driven a b-body Impala with a 4 piston Wilwood setup and it worked very well. Good luck with whatever you end up deciding to go with.
Talked to Alan Blaine (blainfab) and Wilwood. I am thinking for ease of use (straight bolt on) I'm going with the Wilwood road race kit (has a better caliper on it), and swap in their BP-20 pads. Hopefully this will be a solid combo for pro-touring type events (where they don't do a tremendous number of laps at a time). I hope to make RTTH my first event out with the car. I want to do LSfest as a shakedown the week prior, but I will probably have to work. Are you coming to RTTH this year?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Talked to Alan Blaine (blainfab) and Wilwood. I am thinking for ease of use (straight bolt on) I'm going with the Wilwood road race kit (has a better caliper on it), and swap in their BP-20 pads. Hopefully this will be a solid combo for pro-touring type events (where they don't do a tremendous number of laps at a time). I hope to make RTTH my first event out with the car. I want to do LSfest as a shakedown the week prior, but I will probably have to work. Are you coming to RTTH this year?
Should be - I got married last summer and then had the car torn down installing a dry sump for the better part of a year. Hopefully, the car will be done by the end of July and I can get a few local SCCA events in to knock off some rust before RTTH.

Quick Reply: Lets Talk Brake Kits