Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

KYB AGX adjusting & Koni questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 05:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYB AGX adjusting & Koni questions

Hey guys!
I just bought new KYB AGX Struts for the front of my 99 Camaro Z28 and put them on the car 2 days ago. I am using Eibach springs and i had the struts set at level 1 first. After i felt it was WAY to soft i switched to level 8 which "should" be the stiffest but i still think it could be more stiffer than that...
I have konis in the rear and when i set them to the stiffest they are super harsh.
Now i just wonder if it doesnt matter if i adjust the struts when the car is on the ground or on the lift... since there is not "much" difference between level 1 and 8. I adjusted them when the car was on the lift. Anyone got experiences with them and can give me some suggestions?

I also thought about to swap to Konis on the front too if the KYB's dont get stiffer than they are now.
I do alot of fast driving on German autobahn(I am from Austria) and it felt very unsafe when i drove it at level 1 when doing 140mph.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If the KYBs are adjusted to max I don't think much more can be done.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Teching In

So you dont think it will make any difference if i adjust them when the car is on the ground or on a car lift?

If thats the max i can adjust then i just wonder why i have read that these are pretty stiff when adjusting to max. Oh well...

Anyone got experiences with Konis? I need some stiffer front end.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Setting 1 on the AGX is 5% softer than stock. Level 8 is 123% more firm than stock. Not sure how the Koni's compare on the shock dyno however.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Okay thanks! Then i have to look how long i will like the setup i have now. Maybe adding a strut tower brace, sway bars and stuff will help, otherwise i have to get something different.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Sorry man, you bought very different shocks for the front than what you have on the rear..... That's exactly why I don't sell many AGX's to folks (even though I do carry them and have some in stock) and use a ton of Koni's. The Koni's have a lot more rebound control. You clearly want more than the AGX's have, and you are probably running the rears too stiff fwiw.

It needs to be said that the value of an items cannot be based solely on price. AGX's are much less and adjustable. But the adjustment isn't in the same league, neither is the quality of the damper or the damping control. If you get something that doesn't work, even if it was a seemingly a good deal, it's not a very good deal. Please note that the second part of this post isn't directed at you per se, lots of folks get blindsided by this, which is what makes good advice so important. I'm just trying to get others to understand that.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: KYB AGX adjusting & Koni questions