Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Looking for an article on brake theory.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for an article on brake theory.

I had this one article saved for a while and now I can't find it. it went into brake theory and why big brake kits aren't always the answer. Discussed how NASCAR turns 200+ MPH and still uses a 13" rotor to stop the car.

Anyone know which article it is?? It's a lot of brake theory.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:57 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
I had this one article saved for a while and now I can't find it. it went into brake theory and why big brake kits aren't always the answer. Discussed how NASCAR turns 200+ MPH and still uses a 13" rotor to stop the car.

Anyone know which article it is?? It's a lot of brake theory.

Any help would be appreciated.
Here are some articles I wrote about brakes a little over a year ago. I explain some of the misconceptions with brakes including calipers, rotors, fluid, pads, etc. I had the opportunity to speak with some of the most knowledgeable engineers in the industry on this topic, and I was impressed with their honesty on each topic, such as cross-drilled rotors and big brake kits.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

In a nutshell, brakes are very well-thought-out from the factory in most applications. Yes, big brake kits aren't what everyone needs. As a matter of fact, the same braking performance can be achieved and even surpassed by a good floating caliper with the proper pad setup - depending on use. So there is a lot that goes into them. But, the truth is that bigger brakes create more leverage and have increased surface area for thermal distribution across their surface - allowing them to operate longer versus a smaller rotor. Fixed calipers can reproduce a more positive pedal feel and brake response versus a floating. There is a whole lot to it.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting.. I'll have to read up, even though that wasn't exactly what I was looking for.. Still worth a read though.

Quick Reply: Looking for an article on brake theory.