Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How do you test rear brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 07:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How do you test rear brakes?

How can I test my rear brakes? My brake pedal feels firm but my car feels unstable under hard deceleration. During a recent rear gear change I disconnected the rear brakes and lost more than a little brake fluid. I manually bled the rear brakes thoroughly. There are no fluid leaks and no fault indications. The Service Manual recommends bleeding if the pedal feels spongy but it seems to me that the pedal will be firm unless both front and rear have trapped air. Is that correct? Is there a safe way to disconnect one hydraulic circuit to test the other? I have three-channel ABS - no traction control. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

-Gary
Old 04-15-2004, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

I suppose I could slam on the brakes in a turn and see if I slide sideways or spin but I was thinking someone might know of a simple static test.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stop, hold brakes hard, give it gas slowly. should be some resistance before they break free.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

I figured it out. Make a few hard straight stops in quick succession, stop, hop out and touch the rotor. If you burn your finger (I did) that brake is working.

Quick Reply: How do you test rear brakes?