Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn torque arm problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spohn torque arm problem!!!

I just installed my new spohn torque arm and it is a nice piece..but the front driveshaft loop touches my slp y pipe....Now it makes one of those terrable exhaust rattles!!!! Its not to bad, but on the hwy it gets pretty bad....I am so close to cutting it out...But I thought I should ask for your guys imput first!! What a waste of 40$$....Spohn could have let people know this before hand...I do have the torque arm for long tubes...
Old 04-12-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any one in my situation???
Old 04-12-2004, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've seen where people have had to bend the loop to make it work with certain applications..i just recently saw a picture of a loop that this had to be done to..i'm sure someone can post one or if you do a search you may come up w/ it

JR
Old 04-12-2004, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

When i installed the spohn #405 with the stock Y pipe i had the same problem the Y pipe actually rested against the Loop. There really isn't much you can do other than heat the loop and beat the hell out of it. Even then there are no guarantees the Y pipe won't bang or the driveshaft won't get hung up on the loop somehow. Here's a pic of a BMR loop we had to modify to clear the Y pipe and the torque arm......

After installing the Jet Hot Long Tubes and ORY there is plenty of room between the loop and the Y pipe. If you did in fact get the #405 i believe it is specifically designed for Long Tube Headers.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea I got the one designed for longtubes...But the slp y-pipe still rests on the drivesaft loop.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

heater hose... jam it inbetween 'em......
Old 04-13-2004, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Right now I have some DEI header wrap in between the drivesaft loop and my slp y-pipe..
I know what I am going to do though!!...I am going to cut the small section that rubs the slp y- pipe out of the driveshaft loop.That should fix it I think!!..I also was thinking about heating up the y-pipe with a torch and form it with a hammer so in doe's not touch the y-pipe! What do you guys think
Old 04-14-2004, 05:23 AM
TECH Addict

If you cut a section out of the driveshaft loop you might as well just remove it entirely

By doing this you will have severly effected the structural integrity of the loop - and in the event of a failure - the loop will NOT perform it's funtion.

I've seen cars at the track with safety loops that have not been altered have a U-joint let go - the DS still tore up the entire floor of the car. So you can imagine what will happen if the loop does not function properly.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

looks like I will have to figure something else out...Thanks!
Old 04-17-2004, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

"Clearancing" the Y-pipe would be a better option in my opinion. A little "massaging" from a BFH should do the trick. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Spohn torque arm problem!!!