Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

4 Piston CTSV and 13" Rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4 Piston CTSV and 13" Rotor?

I would like to see if i can get this to work.

what i would LIKE to do is get it behind a 16" wheel like the Flynbye FSL kit. The size of the caliper may hamper that goal a bit but some questions:

to fit, what would the measurement from the hub to the barrel have to be to fit?

how far back could i set the rotor, safely, on the third gen? (the hub + rotor will set the wheels out ~.5")

the idea would be to make up the difference and get the actual friction pad to stock location or a little behind that.

how far in could i mount the caliper safely to get it to run on a 13" rotor well?

strangely, for all the swaps done, i couldnt find the answers to these questions
Old 05-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Call Ed Miller and see what he says. I know on the 4th gen, when you bolt the CTS-V calipers on, the 14" rotor fits pretty much spot on.

However, that exact same caliper is used on the Mustang, Evo, and a few other cars and some of those have 13" rotors. Might be how they attach to the spindle, or it might be how the CTS-V's mounts are cast. But on a 3rd gen, your mounting point may be closer in to the hub.

If anything, a 13" rotor would allow a 17" wheel - not 16" - that caliper is huge in all directions.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Call Ed Miller and see what he says. I know on the 4th gen, when you bolt the CTS-V calipers on, the 14" rotor fits pretty much spot on.

However, that exact same caliper is used on the Mustang, Evo, and a few other cars and some of those have 13" rotors. Might be how they attach to the spindle, or it might be how the CTS-V's mounts are cast. But on a 3rd gen, your mounting point may be closer in to the hub.

If anything, a 13" rotor would allow a 17" wheel - not 16" - that caliper is huge in all directions.
i know its a big one. the ends of the calipers are the problem. its also why i would like the total radius needed to fit them.

because of how the stock hub/rotor setup is on the third gen, a custom hub is needed. all of this pushes everything out which MAY give me room needed if i get a rotor with the correct offset.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

16" I'm thinking would be next to impossible to do without completely grinding the whole caliper down. 17s can be done and with a 13.5" rotor which is what i ran on my 92. Rotor size isn't the main issue, these calipers are huge. I don't see it happening.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by stevo92z28
16" I'm thinking would be next to impossible to do without completely grinding the whole caliper down. 17s can be done and with a 13.5" rotor which is what i ran on my 92. Rotor size isn't the main issue, these calipers are huge. I don't see it happening.
Evo's can fit them on some 16" wheels.

i know the calipers are large. i pointed that out and am fully aware this just might not work. if the position of the caliper can be moved closer to the hub with the smaller 13" rotor; it might (key word) work.

the larger the rotor is, the farther out the caliper should be mounted to get the correct 'bite' on the rotor.

its not such a horrible issue, i have a pair of 16" wheels laying around and either way i would like to use the brakes whether its on 17's or 16's.

do you have any measurements from the center of the hub to the longest point on the caliper?
Old 05-23-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

ok, so, evo calipers are a different body.

a member of TGO suggested mounting like this or similar:

can someone PLEASE take some measurements for me:

1) Radius from center of hub to the farthest point on the caliper. make sure you refer to what rotor size you are using.

2) Mounting lug spacing.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Do your own homework:
Buy a few rotors and a caliper and try to fit it in there. Use plexiglass to mock-up the brackets and cut the finished design from steel

I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt, 13" rotors and CTS-V calipers will never fit under a 16" wheel as Im running 13.5" rotors with the 4 pot caliper with 17" Y2K wheels. They barely clear. Dropping the rotor down .5" moves the caliper inboard .25" while the wheel barrel moves in .5". Not happening

Try LS1or C5/6 calipers as the benefits of the brembos are not extensive and those easily fit under 16" wheels

Quick Reply: 4 Piston CTSV and 13" Rotor?