Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Newbie Drag Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 03:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Drag Suspension Questions

Alright so I've been doing a little research on good suspension set ups since I've never owned a car that had more than lowering springs and would like some recommendations for my 1996 z28. I want a nice drag set up that will keep the power to the ground at the drag strip. Not planning on auto-x, just straight line performance. This car will be my daily driver though but it will see as much track time as I can possibly throw at it. Parts need to be budget friendly as well since I'm fresh out of high school.

I'm making out a list of what I want and so far I have UMI Tubular weld in subframe connectors, UMI rear control arms, and maybe a Spohn tunnel brace if those actually stiffen up the car. What I'm not sure of is struts and springs. I don't care to lower the car if it will affect it's track performance so what springs should I get? I was looking at Bilstein shocks but I doubt they're ideal for track use and my budget won't currently allow Koni's. Was also looking at Lakewood drag shocks briefly but I'm not sure how durable those would be to every day use.

I don't really care about ride quality or comfort. I mean I'll be driving the car around with a gutted interior and no carpet if that tells you anything lol. I just don't want a set up that will wear out quick from daily driving. I only put around 500 miles a month or less on my current daily so it's not like it'll be on the road 24/7 but I still want it to last. My current goal is to break into the 11's (mid to high 7's at my 1/8 track) N/A with this car. That would really make me happy.

So with my set up and goals, what do you guys suggest for springs and struts? Also open to any other suspension component recommendations. Thanks!

Last edited by LT11996; 08-05-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It totally depends on your budget. Since you are limited on your budget I would toss in a set of cheap 50/50 rear drag shocks from summit, leave the stock springs and concentrate on the lower control arms. Buy some used tubular lca's, relocation brackets to improve the instant center, remove your front sway bar and add some sticky tires then go have some fun. If its an auto drag radials will work great. If its a m6 then you I recommend bias tires. Once you get your times down you probably want to either get a torque arm or at least get the stock arm front mount off the transmission. You can easily go 11's on a simple budget friendly set up.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LT11996
Alright so I've been doing a little research on good suspension set ups since I've never owned a car that had more than lowering springs and would like some recommendations for my 1996 z28. I want a nice drag set up that will keep the power to the ground at the drag strip. Not planning on auto-x, just straight line performance. This car will be my daily driver though but it will see as much track time as I can possibly throw at it. Parts need to be budget friendly as well since I'm fresh out of high school.

I'm making out a list of what I want and so far I have UMI Tubular weld in subframe connectors, UMI rear control arms, and maybe a Spohn tunnel brace if those actually stiffen up the car. What I'm not sure of is struts and springs. I don't care to lower the car if it will affect it's track performance so what springs should I get? I was looking at Bilstein shocks but I doubt they're ideal for track use and my budget won't currently allow Koni's. Was also looking at Lakewood drag shocks briefly but I'm not sure how durable those would be to every day use.

I don't really care about ride quality or comfort. I mean I'll be driving the car around with a gutted interior and no carpet if that tells you anything lol. I just don't want a set up that will wear out quick from daily driving. I only put around 500 miles a month or less on my current daily so it's not like it'll be on the road 24/7 but I still want it to last. My current goal is to break into the 11's (mid to high 7's at my 1/8 track) N/A with this car. That would really make me happy.

So with my set up and goals, what do you guys suggest for springs and struts? Also open to any other suspension component recommendations. Thanks!
Tires tires tires.
People have gone quicker than 11s on bone stocks suspension...
Don't spend the money yet, buy some sticky tires for the strip, see how you do and if you need more weight transfer go from there.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Tires tires tires.
People have gone quicker than 11s on bone stocks suspension...
Don't spend the money yet, buy some sticky tires for the strip, see how you do and if you need more weight transfer go from there.
I think his right !

Quick Reply: Newbie Drag Suspension Questions