Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Building a 200X challenge car and need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Building a 200X challenge car and need some help

I am building a car to compete in the Grassroots Motorsports 200x Challenge. For more details follow this link. The rules are pretty cool, you can do whatever you want to any car as long as you don’t go over the budget of $2013.00. Something’s like safety items don’t count towards the budget but as you can imagine it still requires quite a bit of ingenuity to build a fast car for such little moneys. The event has three features, auto-X, drag and concours (style/show).

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/2013challenge/

So this is what I have, A 1998 Pontiac Firebird. 3.8L V6 5 speed.

The car has over 320K miles and was in pretty sad shape when we picked it
up.

It looks like the rats got a hold of some of the interior.

Despite all the miles on the car the motor and trans had been replace with low mileage units from a 2000 Camaro and only have like 36K on them so it should be the perfect platform to start playing. We picked it up for $500 and will be able to sell some interior bits like air bags and door panels exct. to recuperate some of that.

The Plan:
Strip/Cut/Gut!
I want to gut everything out of this car that is not COMPLETELY NECESSARY! All interior, all A/C and heat, bumper bars and side impact bars as well as anything else I can find. I would love to replace the rear glass with Plexy, and probably remove the side glass as well. The car will not be a racecar but will no longer be a street car so I’m not concerned with the safety stuff.

More Power:
We picked up a 2000 Pontiac GTP. The plan is to install just the supercharger to add a little extra punch. They are only rated at 40HP more than the NA 3.8L but we think it will make the project fun. We picked up the car for $400 and scrapped it without the parts we needed for $300 so we have a net expense of $100.

Suspension:
Now for the part I really need help with. We would like to go extra stiff with the suspension as street characteristics are no longer a concern but we don’t have money on the budget to purchase a bunch of UMI or BMR suspension bits so…(ready for the hook) If anyone has anything that is leftover from a project that they can sell REAL CHEEP (or better FREE) it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe you have some lower control arms your not using, or maybe some track tires that are almost done but have one or two passes left, that’s what I’m looking for. Also any suggestions would also be greatly appreciated.

I am not someone to spend a lot of time on forums but I will try to keep you updated with progress.

Quick Reply: Building a 200X challenge car and need some help