Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

MF'er!!! Suspension still CROOKED..WTF...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 01:00 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default MF'er!!! Suspension still CROOKED..WTF...

My damn driver's rear fender gap is INSANE!!!!! Before installing my new springs/shock combo or the 8.8 for that matter this was not an issue...

Two things were changed. I installed an 8.8 rear, and new Bilstein shocks/Eibach springs. When I first installed the 8.8 rear, I was running Intrax springs. These springs were about a 2.20 inch drop all the way around and the "lean" was not apparent. After installing the new spring/shock combo, my driver's rear fender now sticks up over 1 inch higher than the rest of the corners...The car doesn't really "lean" to one side, but the rear fender gap is friggin ridiculous compared to the rest of the car, almost looks like STOCK height!

Today I tried EVERYTHING. Swapped out the shocks, springs, adjusted the panhard...everything. The gap will not change..

At this point it can only be two things....A: I'm phucked B: My rear end is causing the gap for some reason....which wasn't apparent enough w/ the Intrax springs to notice....***Note, my pass. side rear sits perfectly fine...

Ideas?
Old 05-05-2004, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you swap rear springs between sides? If that isn't it. I'd measure the distance to the spring perches on your rear from the ground. It sounds like they must be crooked.

Just a guess....
Old 05-05-2004, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that if it's a whole inch, what ever's off that much should probably be visible to you. Possibly a bad shock? If the spring swap doesn't reveal anything, also try swapping sides with the rear shocks.

Maybe before doing any swaps, I'd try to isolate the suspension from the body and look at it. Put the rear (body) on jackstands at EXACTLY the same place on each side on level ground and look at it, that should at least give you a perspective w/out the rear suspension entering into the equation. If it's still off when you look at it that way, then the body could have gotten tweaked somehow.

Good luck to you though.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:19 PM
LSX Mechanic

Both are good ideas I haven't tried. Thanks!

As for the shock, I tried swapping in my old stock shocks to see if that was the problem. Didn't change anything
Old 05-05-2004, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not to state the obvious, but it sounds like you are missing the "hat" off the top of one of your springs, or it is not seated in all the way.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Another easy one: Have you driven it around, and jumped in the trunk, both to "settle" and "seat" everything?
-Rob
Old 05-05-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wildman
Not to state the obvious, but it sounds like you are missing the "hat" off the top of one of your springs, or it is not seated in all the way.
that was my first thought also
Old 05-06-2004, 09:52 PM
LSX Mechanic

Both rear spring seats are in place and both touch the "notch" that is in the seat itself. No problem there...

Definately gave the springs time to settle. My new suspension setup has a little over 4K miles on it, and been on the car about 3 months now...

I am probably just going to slice about 1/2 inch of the rubber off of the driver's rear spring seat to level it out. It's obvious that my spring pirch on that side is twisted upward because i've eliminated every other possibility..

Thanks guys..

josh
Old 05-06-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Damian
Both rear spring seats are in place and both touch the "notch" that is in the seat itself. No problem there...

Definately gave the springs time to settle. My new suspension setup has a little over 4K miles on it, and been on the car about 3 months now...

I am probably just going to slice about 1/2 inch of the rubber off of the driver's rear spring seat to level it out. It's obvious that my spring pirch on that side is twisted upward because i've eliminated every other possibility..

Thanks guys..

josh
Could you put a level on the perches to verify that they're level?
Old 05-06-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Could you put a level on the perches to verify that they're level?
yea, either that or measure from the springs seat to the ground on both sides an see if its different.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am thinking it's you Josh... you are crooked some how.. Just Kidding.
Agreed with the guys above. Before cutting I would take some measurements, measure the springs, shocks and so on. Even consider taking it back off since it is not that hard, swapping suspension sides to see if the problem moves. At least that will help narrow down the problem. Maybe one of your shocks are not compressing all the way? Are your shocks adjustable?
Just a couple of more ideas.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:09 AM
LSX Mechanic

Levi, i'll put a leveler on it Monday and let you know.

Wildman, tried all that other stuff. I have swapped in stock shocks, swapped sides for the shocks, everything. No matter what I try, as soon as the suspension is under a load the gap is still there and it's TOTALLY noticable. Looks like ****

I'll get it figure out. Worse case I will take some material off the seat on the driver's side, should level it out with no ill effects. I HATE having cosmetic defects
Old 05-09-2004, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

The culprit might be your rear anti-sway bar. You can reduce this gap by changing the length of the end link spacers. Shorten the drivers side to narrow that side.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car has the exact same problem. I have lowering springs and an adj. LGM PHR. The drivers side is 1.5 inches lower than the pass. side. At first I didn't think anything of it because I thought it would even out once I sat in the car but then I realized that I was thinking of the pass. side being lower so my fat *** makes it even worse! I have switched springs and adjusted the PHR 10 different ways. I didn't notice it until the springs because the gap was less but even with stock springs back on it is lower. I gave up.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ever find out what was causing this?