Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

help with major brake line leak 98 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with major brake line leak 98 Z28

Hey guys, I have a 98 Z28. I was driving today and all of a sudden the brake pedal felt like a sponge.

Got out of the car and took a quick peak underneith, and it was leaking brake fluid, looked like it was coming from above the rear end.

Its pretty late and cold as **** out so I didn't take a really close look. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I'm wondering if the line rusted out or something, its weird though it happened all of a sudden.

I'm googling right now trying to find new lines, but does anyone have any suggestions. And how much of a bitch are they to install? I don't have access to a lift or anything like that.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2013, 06:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming you don't live in the "rust belt", where road salt will corrode your brake lines, the first thing I'd be looking at is brake hoses. They'll crack and split over time.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the hard lines run down the driver side of the car and end near where the driver's side rear sway bar end link connects to the body. from there one or two flex hoses will run to the rear axle to a bracket on top side of the pumpkin. then hard lines run along the axle to the end where a flex hose connects that to a caliper. unfortunately you or someone will have to get under there and find the leak. if it's a flex line those can be ordered fairly cheap from rockauto. if it's a hard line rusted then i would inspect all the brake hard lines. the ones on the axle is easily replaceable, easy to get to that is, one side i think driver's side has a 10mm fitting on one end and 12mm on the other which isn't available from parts stores and may suck to have to order.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the replies. Figures GM would do something stupid like that.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Well suck me sideways...

Just got under and looked. The hard line coming from the front looks great, untill it gets to the part where it connects to the flex hose. Right before that its rusted out pretty good. But the hoses are great, lol.

Does anyone know what length/size line i need for the hard line coming from the ABS module to the rear end? And what size/length do i need for the part coming from the flex hose to the calipers on the rear end? Those don't look good either.

Man I don't know if I want to tackle this. I've never done hard lines on brakes before. How much of a bitch is this? Any idea on what itd cost if I brought it to a shop?

Last edited by slaterdump; 12-02-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt think it would be more than like 110-120 for a shop to do that line. its super easy if you have all the tools and a lift.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Well got it done, on jack stands in a 10x20 storage unit lol. Busy as hell with work, plus I'm putting new springs/shocks/lca/panhard rod in so I didn't want to do it in the parking lot of my townhome. (neighbors bitch when I change the oil, and the hoa is a bunch of *****) Replaced everything from the ABS mod back.

Wasn't that hard to do, would have been easier to do with a lift. And if the unit was heated/had outlets.

Quick Reply: help with major brake line leak 98 Z28