Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rack and Pinion problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rack and Pinion problems

Hello, fellow LS1 Members,
I own a 1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 that I purchased in 2001 from a local Chevrolet Dealer with only 15,000 miles on it. It was in new condition and for the most part still is with a little over 150,000 miles today. It has always been maintained extreamly well over the years.

My question is regarding the rack and pinion that is now leaking (again) and was told it was loose (again) preventing it from having the alignment done. I had the original rack and pinion replaced a couple years ago, (cost was over $500) and noticed it was easier to turn after. Well a year ago it was in the shop having a rear main seal replaced and was told it was loose, but they fixed it. Took it in for an oil change recently and they changed the oil and the rear differential fluid, but told me it has a leak in the rack and pinion again. It has been less than 10,000 miles since it was last replaced but only had a year warranty. So, I figured I would let it leak and as it gets worse I would deal with it another time. Well it has been 3 Weeks and now it is loose and unable to be aligned.
Anybody seem to have an idea or solution that will address these issues before I pay another
$500 only to have it last a couple of years? Or is this just another power window motor flaw that I have to live with, witch has been replaced about 5 or 6 times over the years?
Old 01-07-2014, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depending on how they put the bolts back in, it can be fairly easy to change out one on your own with basic hand tools in a few hours, no need to pay 500 bucks for a less then 150 part. where is it leaking at?
Old 01-08-2014, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think your problem might be caused by how things have been repaired in the past,
if the rack went out and only that was replaced then you may have debris in the system which is taking out replacement racks. how's your steering fluid look?
the smart thing to do is undo all the power steering lines and flush them, drain the power steering pump reservoir and clean it. if you had any kind of power steering pump whine, i would also consider replacing the power steering pump. once you get fresh clean fluid in the system you should be good to go. and you can also use a universal power steering fluid filter on the return line to the reservoir, you can get them for around $10 at autozone.
the other thing i would suggest is, if you have the oem power steering cooler which is in the upper radiator hose i would disconnect the power steering lines from it and run without it. that cooler is using engine coolant at 200° to cool the power steering fluid. if you're in a hot climate that's definitely no good, and i would look into the thread "power steering cooler success" in the general repair forum (it has some 20+ pages) about adding a cheap aftermarket oil cooler in for the power steering fluid.

Quick Reply: Rack and Pinion problems