Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hawk HPS or GM Ceramics

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hawk HPS or GM Ceramics

Currently doing my homework on a brake upgrade for my 2001 C5 Z06.
I'm pretty much set all around but the biggest thing i'm worried about are pads.

After some reading seems i've heard plenty of positive reviews from the Hawk HPS. They stop on the dime, and dust very low. But how much is "very low"?
On the other hand the Gm Ceramics have also gotten very good reviews for fair stopping power and almost no dust.

I know by going to a ceramic pad i'm sacrificing brake power, but i'm not too sure which route is best to take. I use the car mainly for joy rides and a few occasional runs. The car is not a daily driver.

Any insight or experiences would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2014, 10:56 AM
Teching In

In my experience, Hawk HPS pads on the street are okay.
They are mostly quiet, but I thought they gave off a lot of dust.
I certainly won't say they stop on a dime though. They are better than any ceramic pad at stopping, but they can't hold a candle to a good semi-metallic pad.
If you're looking for a pad that stops like you threw out a boat anchor, is quiet and low-dusting, you won't find it. Every pad is going to compromise somewhere - a very strong brake pad will turn your wheels black in 2 days of street driving, any may squeal like a pig until they get hot (like my Ferodo DS2500s)......you have to decide for yourself where you want to prioritize.

Last edited by xtrkestrel; 01-30-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm looking at Carbotech AX6 pads. They are much more expensive than HPS, but are a huge step up in performance and don't dust anything crazy.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm interested in this also.

I need some more stopping power and can't decide which pads I need. Right now, I have the Autozone/Duralast gold ceramic pads that aren't cutting it.

I drive like an *******, so I'd like to be able to stop when I need to. I need reasonably priced pads that perform well.

Maxx, sorry to piggy back off your thread.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Everything I know about ceramics is they are for quietness and longevity, not for overall stopping power. However, that's not to say they won't work well for 99% of drivers. I generally purchase an OEM pad or a semi-metallic if I buy from an auto parts retailer. I bought HPS pads for the camaro this last go round. Initial bite is good, they are smooth and quiet. I love the driving aspect of them on the street. The dust, is awful. My chrome wheels look like "dark chrome" after 100-200 miles......in their defense I go WOT a ton on the street so I'm doing a lot of high speed slow downs, more then an average driver.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I buy whatever has the lowest dust I can find. I would go with GM.

Quick Reply: Hawk HPS or GM Ceramics