Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

parking brake light problem. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parking brake light problem. HELP!!

Hey Guys,

I have a stock 1997 Z28. earlier this year I pulled the brakes off to paint them. re-assembled everything and bled the brakes. they worked fine, except the parking brake light stayed on whether the parking brake was on or off. If i pumped the brakes (a lot) it would go off.

I assumed I had an air bubble that was effecting the level of fluid in the reservoir, and pumping the brake pedal compressed the fluid and lowered the level.

I re-bled all the brakes, and did find many air bubbles. however, now the parking brake light doesn't come on at all, parking brake of not! I didn't change anything else on the car. any ideas? what did I do wrong?

and one more question; when bleeding the rear brakes, should the parking brake be on or off?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2014, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you use scanner to push air out of abs unit?
Old 03-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Teching In

No I did not. Please explain.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Let's say I have an air bubble in the ABS unit, why would the parking brake light not come on when I pull the parking brake???
Old 03-08-2014, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Might have 2 issues.

First if you replaced anything infront of the abs module then an automated bleed is needed. If a line or caliper was replaced its not nessary but does help dramatically when using the purge option on scanner.

As for the light not coming on, check fuses, then check connction on unit. If both are good then you could ghost have a bulb issue,Body controller issue,wiring issue, switch issue
Old 03-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Teching In

I didn't replace anything other than the calipers.

ok thanks i'll check that. i guess it could be the switch. seems unlikely but i'll check it. i know the bulb is good, because when I first turn the key all the lights on the dash light up, including the brake light. thanks for your help.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:11 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

If you want to try something easy, you can remove the center console, take out the parking brake handle contact switch, and clean it. Most often, this gathers gunk and debris and tells the car that your parking brake is constantly on, even when it isn't. It may just be a coincidence that it started acting up when you did the brake job.

Quick Reply: parking brake light problem. HELP!!