Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes fighting back with stock wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 02:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brakes fighting back with stock wheels and tires

Hello, I have searched a little but usually read that peoples tires are throwing off the ABS. I have a 99 TA

Situation:
The other day I was trying to make a turn and nailed the brake. A car was sideways and blocked the road i was trying to turn on so I couldnt just take the turn any way. I wasnt speeding but I was trying to turn faster than normal. If the car wasnt blocking the road i would have been fine.

Problem:
When I nailed the brake, it felt like it was only giving me 50% of the braking power. It felt like it wasnt all the way to the floor. It should lock up instead of this fighting back.

I have felt this before and if i pump the brakes it helps but at the end of a a quarter mile track, There isnt a lot of room for me to be able to pump the brakes hoping to slow down.

i dont know what pads i have but arent very old, I put rotors on it that I took off of my camaro, nothin changed.

ANY IDEAS???
Old 04-24-2014, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No SES or ABS lights at all.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:09 AM
Staging Lane

When the brakes were fighting you, did they give a "crunching" kind of feel?
Old 04-24-2014, 03:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

YES!!!! not the whole time but I have felt that
Old 04-24-2014, 03:57 AM
Staging Lane

Sometimes when I am taking a turn and I am on the brakes, it will do that. "Crunch, smooth crunch again... smooth" Even when I am at low speeds. Every morning when I leave for work, I need to do a 3-point turn to start my trip. I would say it happens 45% of the time before I head to work. The parking lot is VERY slick in the AM. Every time it happens, the "LOW TRAC" light comes on and then goes away immediately. My guess is that the same thing happened to you, during which, you were focused on the road and not the dash. By the time you looked at the dash, the light was gone. Like I said it goes away quickly. So I think you hit a patch of low traction which only got worse when making the turn and the ABS was kicking in.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm, I did notice the low trac light on a few other occasions.

This is normal? Makes me wanna get rid of ABS
Old 04-24-2014, 04:12 AM
Staging Lane

I would say I hope not, but I will only say that in my case. This mostly happens to me in the AM because the parking lot is very slick when I leave for work. But sometimes on those hot, dry, Florida summer days, the ABS will still kick on and give me the "crunching brakes" when I am doing something like driving into a parking space at Subway. Those are true "WTF" moments. My shop did say that sometimes when the ABS sensor goes bad, it can give you that crunch at random. Might just have been a coincidence to have happened at that moment in your case. I will be doing a brake over-haul soon but as of now, its not to bad for me.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ill check all y sensors, Thanks!
Old 06-26-2014, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It had to of been a low traction problem. I replaced my swap bar endlinks and it stiffened the ride and the brakes feel 10 times better.....WOW
Old 06-26-2014, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ahhwataday
When I nailed the brake, it felt like it was only giving me 50% of the braking power. It felt like it wasnt all the way to the floor. It should lock up instead of this fighting back.
Um, that's exactly what ABS is for, to prevent locking up the wheels and possibly losing control of the car by skidding. If you lock up the wheels with ABS then the system isn't doing its job.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. The fighting back is the ABS cycling. I can't rem,ember having my F-body engage the ABS (brakes stop pretty well on their own). Felt it in numerous other cars.

Quick Reply: Brakes fighting back with stock wheels and tires