Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Straightening rear control arm mount..(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Straightening rear control arm mount..(pics)

Car is a 2002 SS M6 with a built 403. Crashed the car into a low rock wall at about 20 in the snow. Spun around and caught the wheel on the rear passenger side, the car was almost parallel to the wall so it sent the rear lower control arm some what forward but more so down and the floor in front of it up. Broke every spoke on the oem ss rim and split the rotor. The wheel hoop pushed the inner wheel house left and wrinkled the tunnel. I got the major stuff somewhat flattened out buy a auto body shop and supposedly he pulled it straight but all the pounding on the floor thinned it out and it cracked and was a little rusty to begin with. I'm cutting that out and making a piece to go in. I can get a donor floor and cut all the way up to the center of the tunnel, but the control arm mount is tripled in sections. I've heard of this area called a power box. Auto body shops cut this area out..I guess? Not sure where not to cut.

Thank,
John

You can see how its pulled down maybe 1/2-3/4".

This is the good driver side..much sharper nice tight bends.

Floor

Tunnle

Old 07-16-2014, 04:32 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

If it's not covered by insurance it may be easier and cheaper to just swap the power train over to a roller. Have the car checked on a frame machine to verify nothing else is tweaked before you invest any money fixing this obvious damage.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No insurance no police report, was able to get my buddy to tow it out before anyone showed up. All the work will be done by me. So the cost is only materials cause I have all the equipment. I've done floors in 1st gens Camaros before but I don't know if I can support that corner of the car on the rear frame rail and start cutting to floor out a few inches away. I just need to pull that control arm pocket off and straighten it, then weld it back in. No ones seen this kind of damage fixed up? Supposedly its a common thing with rear endings and rear impacts...?

-John-
Old 07-17-2014, 09:49 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This thread saddens me. I just had a similar incident in April, although it sounds like mine was a softer impact. I just tore the control arm brackets on my rear end.

I'd think the best way to go here would be to cut the bracket you need off of a doner car and then weld it on the keeper.

Quick Reply: Straightening rear control arm mount..(pics)