Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Quick question on suspension choices

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question on suspension choices

Recently got myself a 99 Trans am, everything is bone stock with about 120k miles. Needless to say, the stock suspension runs like ****, every turn feels like I have to keep the cars lack of ability in mind instead of what the road looks like. Every bump or crack in the road turns into a commotion leading to rear swaying etc etc. All the reading I've done recommends bilstein or koni sa/str shocks and bmr or strano springs. I'm looking for a daily driven car that can handle quick safety maneuvering and traction, but can also hold its own at the track. What kind of difference in ride feel can expect when considering koni vs bilstein and bmr vs strano springs. I've never driven any suspension upgraded equipped vehicle so I'm excited and nervous about the outcome so I definitely appreciate any help I can get! Thanks again!
Old 01-12-2015, 11:28 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

We have a couple of options here, depending on budget and what you intend to do with the car later on. Our springs are proven to provide excellent ride quality and handling, while coming with a lifetime warranty against sagging. As far as shocks, they will be the biggest determining factor in how your car performs overall. For what you describe, there are 3 options that will work well for you; Bilstein, Koni Str.T and Koni Single adjustable. The best way I can help you pick out a combo that will work best for you is to give me a call and I can go over some package deals and see what we can work for you. We can also discuss sway bar options and bushing upgrades. All of which will improve the over all performance and feel.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-20-2015, 04:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm not going to sit here and say you need springs to make the car handle a LOT better. In fact reading your post it seems you have a classic "crappy shock" scenario going on.

If you do want to lower the car, etc I'm partial to my springs... which aren't cheap copies of others, and proven to handle all the way to National Championships... but aren't ballistically stiff. And made by one of the most respected spring companies in the world.

If you want to improve the handling as much as you can and keep the softer riding stock springs, in addition to the shocks I'd add a set of swaybars possibly even the 3 way adjustable rear bar so you can really tune balance.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Quick question on suspension choices