Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Another question for my suspension project - Panhard Bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another question for my suspension project - Panhard Bar

Since my suspension rebuild/upgrade project will be some Koni STR.Ts and Strano springs, bushings, etc, I have learned that the rear will shift to the left (however negligible that is). I know that some say that it should be centered with an adjustable panhard bar and some say that it is fine as is. Personally, I would like it to be centered as much as possible.

What that said, I do plan on getting an adjustable panhard bar. In fact, I plan on putting this on first so that is is there and ready for me to adjust when I get around to installing all the suspension goodies. Are there any other advantages to having an aftermarket adjustable panhard bar? Also, I may plan on getting an aftermarket rear end, or I may leave it stock (I'm not even touching the engine until I get suspension, etc upgraded to support it). My ultimate goal is to have a street car with improved handling.

This is about as far as I have gotten on my research and value any inputs from the members here who have been there, done that. I also want to narrow down my choice of what panhard bar to get that will suit my needs.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:01 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

An adjustable PHB is a very common and very awesome upgrade.

For the ultimate in PHB handling, you can choose a Roto-Joint adjustable unit. This will give a nice ride and reduced deflection.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...Path=7_138_106

2037 and 2038 are popular choices.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thx

-- Ramey
Old 09-29-2015, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Any time you purchase suspension it is always a good choice to purchase adjustable. We offer multiple different combinations for our PHB and LCA but we do prefer double adjustable heim/heim because it does allow for free movement with out bind.

If you have any questions please feel free to call or check out our Ebay store for great prices.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:17 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Having a good aftermarket tubular adjustable panhard bar is always a good idea because it will allow you to center up the rear end and better control the lateral side to side movement.

For what you are doing there are two real good options as far as BMR Suspension goes. The best option is our BMR poly/rod end adjustable panhard rod part number PHR010. The other good option would be our BMR poly/poly adjustable sway bar part number PHR002. Here are some pictures of both along with links to our website of the products:

BMR poly/rod end adjustable panhard bar (PHR010)

http://bmrsuspension.com/index.cfm?p...&productid=281

BMR poly/poly adjustable panhard bar (PHR002)

http://bmrsuspension.com/index.cfm?p...&productid=279
Attached Thumbnails Another question for my suspension project - Panhard Bar-phr010r.jpg   Another question for my suspension project - Panhard Bar-phr002r.jpg  

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-29-2015, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently installed a dbl adjustable panhard from BMR (roto-joint) and have noticed a difference in sweeping turns like on/off ramps for highways and similar things.

It's a relatively inexpensive mod that produced a noticeable difference for me and others that I've talked to. The notice in performance would probably be increased over the stock PHB with a lowered car, but I haven't put on the Koni/Strano combo yet. I have the parts and will be doing it in a couple weeks. Just wanted to do like you and get the PHB on first.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you install this, and it's more pretty stuff on the bottom, which is always a win.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

So many good products...

Sounds like this won't be a hindrance to my goals nor have any trade offs so why not do it? What is the advantage of a double adjustable panhard bar versus a single adjustable? I would think that one point of adjustment is good since it only needs to be shortened or lengthened.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Cypher
So many good products...

Sounds like this won't be a hindrance to my goals nor have any trade offs so why not do it? What is the advantage of a double adjustable panhard bar versus a single adjustable? I would think that one point of adjustment is good since it only needs to be shortened or lengthened.
Single adjustable eliminates one moving part but at the expense of adjustment range available.

For a perfect, non-bent car that just needs a minor tweak, I prefer single. For a ton of lowering, bent car, aftermarket axle, etc. I like the adjustment range of a double.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Cypher
So many good products...

The real big benefit of the double adjustable over the single adjustable is that you can adjust the double adjustable one with it installed on the car. The single adjustable part has to have one mounting point taken off the car to be adjusted. We only offer the double adjustable panhard bars because they have plenty adjustment for the same price and it makes them much easier to adjust.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-06-2015, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm still debating choosing which brand to go with. I am looking into what type of ends I want on the panhard bar. I am leery about poly ends. I know not to use them for the arms and I think they might be ok on a panhard bar. Still, I wouldn't mind a little articulation if needed. On the other end, it looks like rod end will be too much for a daily driven car. Also, I have concerns about how often they need to be changed versus other bushing options.

With all that said, I plan on using Moog bushings for my suspension up front, and 1LE style bushings in the rear (when I get to working on the rear suspension). The only option I see as a happy medium is the roto joint (unless I am missing another option). My concern for roto joints is how long do they last? How much maintenance is required of them, do they need to be inspected often? How do they hold up to being exposed to the elements in all seasons? Are they easily damaged due to dirt, road grime, etc? I've never heard of roto joint until a week or two ago.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

I've had Roto Joints on ALL of the rear suspension location arms/bars for almost 5 years now, on a daily driven in ALL weather/climate conditions, including our mid-Atlantic/northeast 'salt soup' winters.
This car is NEVER garaged, nor stored, and ALWAYS driven (and has been since buying it new in 12/99).

The Roto Joints hold up VERY well (I have yet to replace the $3.00 each Delrin liners/races), and as long as you tighten up the lock rings (I do this about twice a year, but you could get away with once a year), and lube them through their zerk fittings (I do this 4 times a year, but again, someone less OCD could getaway with twice a year), they are DEAD silent, and VERY functional as far as articulation, and the subsequent handling benefits over binding poly ends go.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:21 AM
FormerVendor

For the most part we get great feedback on our roto-joints.
I tend to believe the negative feedback comes from guys that think they should get the same ride qualities that stock rubber bushings give and this is definitely not the case.

We designed the Roto-joint to work like a spherical rod end in that it has 28 degrees of rotation and no deflection like softer bushings have while maintaining a streetable ride "similar" to a polyurethane bushings.

If anybody needs info or pricing please feel free to give us a call.

Craig
Old 10-07-2015, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

If you are looking for quality at a great value give us a call and we can take care of you. Personally for a PHB a Heim/Heim combination is going to be maintenance free and if you purchase from a company that uses good quality heim joints like we do you won't notice any extra noise and have a long lasting product.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Finally got around to installing the UMI double adjustable panhard bar with roto-joints. The weight seems very similar. I only drove it in my neighborhood so far but the NVH is the same as stock. If there is any extra noise, I cannot hear it over my exhaust. So far I am very pleased with the product.
Attached Thumbnails Another question for my suspension project - Panhard Bar-panhard-bar-comparison.jpg   Another question for my suspension project - Panhard Bar-panhard-bar-ends.jpg   Another question for my suspension project - Panhard Bar-umi-panhard-bar-driver-side.jpg   Another question for my suspension project - Panhard Bar-umi-panhard-passenger-side.jpg  
Old 10-26-2015, 07:00 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the positive feedback!
As with any suspension component keep it greased and moving freely and you shouldn't have any issues.

Quick Reply: Another question for my suspension project - Panhard Bar