Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

98 Camaro Torque arm hitting

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 Camaro Torque arm hitting

Guys I've been putting this car together from a roller, first fbody...I keep hearing something lose and feels funny under car like trans mount broke in addition to something flopping like exhaust.. Put on rack today, exhaust doesn't seem to hit anything BUT upon inspection looks like the torque arm is rotating UP hitting the ebrake mount in the tunnel!!! Also near that point I looks to be deflecting sideways as there is a line in the driveshaft where it's rubbed!!! The shop said it's not correct torque arm it's a v6 car one , ( its a 98 Camaro z28/ss). I am including a photo the torque arm I have has a mount cast into it but I can't see anything it would bolt to....putting this car together has been like doing a jigsaw puzzle where you have NO idea what the picture is!!! I have the BMR crossmember on it with adjustable mount...

It's a 6.0l 450hp 4l60e 3600 stall 3.42 rear and it wheel hops like crazy especially with a passenger...
Old 11-25-2015, 02:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you post a pic of the nose of the torque arm?

Sounds like you need a new bushing for the nose of the torque arm.. I recommend a poly mount from energy suspension or pro thane..

Last edited by Burken01; 11-25-2015 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, your shop is right. That's a v6 torque arm. It looks like you have a competent mechanic on board with you

Me being a v6 owner, I try to bring some smarts to this board at least, have that torque arm. Basically it's specific to a v6 driveshaft, see pic below

The v6 design is a 2 piece driveshaft and halfway down the shaft it mounts to the v6 torque arm via the two bolt holes (circled in red.) The torque arm design and functionality is the same between v6 and v8, just the v6 one has those two holes to mount the v6 driveshaft. With that power level you're running, I'd definitely spring for an aftermarket torque arm and take advantage of the black Friday deals going on right now!! Otherwise you could grind those holes down as they're not needed for a v8 driveshaft
Old 11-25-2015, 02:35 AM
TECH Addict

Not only v6 cars had those mounts, even v8 cars have them.. Except for the 98 v8 cars since the torque arm was stamped steel and no bracing

The 00+ torque arms have extra bracing and those 2 extra hole mounts, plus they are rubber coated from the factory.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Burken01
Not only v6 cars had those mounts, even v8 cars have them.. Except for the 98 v8 cars since the torque arm was stamped steel and no bracing

The 00+ torque arms have extra bracing and those 2 extra hole mounts, plus they are rubber coated from the factory.
Huh, that's weird. Were those 2 extra mounts used at all or were they just hanging out there
Old 11-25-2015, 03:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
Huh, that's weird. Were those 2 extra mounts used at all or were they just hanging out there
Not on my car they weren't, I thought the same thing when I saw them.

Here's a 00 z28 M6 torque arm
Attached Thumbnails 98 Camaro Torque arm hitting-image-2583787742.jpg  
Old 11-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Burken01

Funny you should mention my car is a 98 AND this torque arm IS coated with something reminding of rhinoliner!!!! I ordered some bilstein rear shocks as it looks like the ones I have are literally the factory ones and doing nothing hehe,..I also ordered new bump stops which one side is literally gone entirely nothing but the mounting plate and other side half gone....it looks like the tunnel is coming down on it or vice versa...

My thoughts are to protect with bump stops and control with shocks....then see what I got...I had to spend the money on another torque arm right now if I don't have to ( but it really seems to have clearance issues) and to answer the front is a BMR poly I guess in their adjustable crossmember ( coulsbt find an fbody specific 4l60e with tailhousing for toque arm so I subbed a gto trans and used the bmr crossmember....

Trying not to sink more money but I suppose with the 15 percent off I need to at least order the lower arms...since no of what I'm doing is likely to solve my wheel hop except that?

Thanks everyone what an adventure!!!
Old 11-25-2015, 09:46 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sgilbert1967
Funny you should mention my car is a 98 AND this torque arm IS coated with something reminding of rhinoliner!!!! I ordered some bilstein rear shocks as it looks like the ones I have are literally the factory ones and doing nothing hehe,..I also ordered new bump stops which one side is literally gone entirely nothing but the mounting plate and other side half gone....it looks like the tunnel is coming down on it or vice versa...

My thoughts are to protect with bump stops and control with shocks....then see what I got...I had to spend the money on another torque arm right now if I don't have to ( but it really seems to have clearance issues) and to answer the front is a BMR poly I guess in their adjustable crossmember ( coulsbt find an fbody specific 4l60e with tailhousing for toque arm so I subbed a gto trans and used the bmr crossmember....

Trying not to sink more money but I suppose with the 15 percent off I need to at least order the lower arms...since no of what I'm doing is likely to solve my wheel hop except that?

Thanks everyone what an adventure!!!
It is always a fun journey building a car from scratch!

Just let us know if we can help out in any way.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 11-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Something feels/sounds loose I can't find what it is..my senses tell exhaust is bouncing but on a loaded lift I cannot find the exhaust loose and don't seem to be able to make it bounce off floor....thought rear shocks would solve it...helped but it's still there kind of maddening...

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
It is always a fun journey building a car from scratch!

Just let us know if we can help out in any way.

Quick Reply: 98 Camaro Torque arm hitting