Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Will these shocks work? FE4

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will these shocks work? FE4

Ok, so I've been searching high and low and haven't really found a definitive answer. I have a 2005 GP GXP with FE4 suspension. I want to replace the shocks and don't need anything fancy. Turns out these are pricey. My question is, on Summit Racing they have a set of Monroe quick struts, part #172177 that says they will fit a GXP. Anyone have any insight to this? Looks like they have the tabs for sway bar on the shock. Not much experience with suspension either so any input is appreciated.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:16 PM

Front struts, by the way. Doing new control arms tomorrow on front to see if that helps ride quality and clunking with new bushings and ball joints.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Don't know about the GP's, but Monroe shocks for the F-body are (at least on this forum) almost unanimously considered as ****. Sometimes the extra money is worth it, especially on shocks

Last edited by ChristopherWelkin; 05-21-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the input. I'll wait to see if anyone has personally used them. Upon replacing control arms I discovered my sway bar link was broken and just hanging by the strut. Lol. That might have something to do with it.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Lol that MAY have an effect on handling, I'm not an expert on broken suspension tabs though haha. You should try checking out Bilstein shocks. People on this forum love them, and I recently replaced the stock shocks on my Silverado to Bilsteins and they impressed the hell out of me. I'm pretty sure they'd have a set for the GP.

On a side note, I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but when I changed out my DeCarbon shocks on the Firebird to Koni STR-Ts, I didn't even feel a difference AT ALL. So I wasn't that optimistic about changing my truck's shocks, but holy **** did that make a world of difference.

Good luck though, hope you get more input to help you make a decision
Old 05-21-2016, 06:50 PM

I've come to the conclusion that my shocks are fine. The broken sway bar link and the bushings for control arm and the ball joints I did today (5 hours, lol) made a night and day difference. I'm really impressed. I'll keep those in mind though...

Quick Reply: Will these shocks work? FE4