Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steering Column Support bearing Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steering Column Support bearing Upgrade

Hello all!

I decided to share a little upgrade with you guys from the thirdgen community. Its not a HUGE deal, so dont expect a miracle mod here.

What Im talking about is the lower steering column support bearing. In the engine bay, where the column exits the firewall, there is a bushing. On all F-bodies from 82-02, they are just plastic bushings. On some of our older cars, even with lower miles, there is a good amount of slop in the bushing. It occurred to me that some of the 4th gen cars are getting up there in age and miles, which is why I figured Ide share.

Will you notice the slop? Maybe not. But this upgrade is usually either really cheap, or free. And the work involved is really minimal. Probably a little more complicated for you guys since you have a deep cowl. Im also not sure whats involved in removing your steering shaft since it doesnt collapse. Im going to share anyway!

On 90's Astro Vans, the bushing is actually a metal ball bearing. The two are swappable, as long as you use all of the associated parts. There is a big clip that is easily removed, then a dust/retainer shield, then the bearing/bushing. You have to keep the dust caps with their corresponding bearing to ensure proper fit. You can also find these bearings in other cars, and also Chevy Express vans. My video kind of explains the Express van bearing as it has a different cap.

Sorry I dont have any pictures, but you'll get the idea pretty quick. Like I said, this isnt a mod to go out of your way to do maybe. But if you have slop in your column and are already replacing it, or working on your steering, you might want to try to find an upgrade!

I did a search, and didnt find any reference to this upgrade here. SO if its been covered, my apologies. If my videos bore you close to death, feel free to check out my others. I just recently did an LQ4 build and there are lots of videos on there of various steps of the build.

Hope it helps someone out!

J.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where can I get one of those astro shafts? I google'd an just comes up with a bunch of Vids on it.

Quick Reply: Steering Column Support bearing Upgrade