Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tracktion Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracktion Trouble

Hello everybody, I'm new here and was hopeing to get some info to solve something of a consistant problem I'm having with my 94 TA. This is my third Firebird, my first being a 69, then a 91, a car I dearly loved, and now the 94 TA.

My FB drifts in the back end, meaning like when I go over a set of RR track, it feels like the rear end slips to the side. Also when I'm in a very tight turn there is a growling noise that comes from the rear tires, like a tire is scraping a wheel well. When I bought the car it had a lot of problems from the PO, many I was able to fix. fourtunatly He had keep some decent records and I noticed that in 06 with 98000 miles on the car he had to have the rear diff replaced at a cost of 949.00 bucks, along with axel seales and some other stuff.

Ok enough history. I buy the car put new tires on it all the way round, and need to make a trip from Reno to San Diego. When I get there I notice that the outside edge of both rear tires are worn to the cord. I took the car to a rear end shop in San Diego and the shop owner told me it looked like the whole axel shaft is bent like this symbol ( faced down. Personnaly I could see nothing at all, and the alinment I got just befor going to San Diego did not show any problem with the rear. I bought new Tires and came home checking at rest stops to see how they were. Got back to Reno, no tire ware that I could tell. Frustrated I went to Firebird Nation and discussed this problem. No one seemed to have any idea what might be wrong other then a bent axel. One person did ask me If I had any of the special lube in the rear diff that your supposed to add, and of course I had no idea. They said that might have been causing the groweling.

So also let me add at this time that I compleatly rebuilt the entire front and back end of the car, new rubber bushing, shocks, struts, control arms, tir rod ends, ball joints, pan hard bushing...ect. if it moved it got replaced. I took the rear end apart. I removed the c-clips that held in the axel and miked them, the axels. Replaced the bearings, I found a big piece a metal gear that must have come from the previous differential stuck to the cover magnet. The differential in there rotated smoothly, with no broken splins. So I put it all back together. Added the proper amount of oil and the additive that you need to add. Took it for a test drive and did some donuts in a parking lot, no more growling from the rear end. But the slip is still there and its very prominate if I hit a puddle of water or the road is wet. I feel like I might lose control of the car. On a dry road no trouble. Also I dont seem to have any of the tire wear I mention already.

Ok, thats a lot but I wanted to be sure I mentioned everything I can remember. Many thanks in advance and I hope someone else has had this trouble and knows what to do.

Tony
Old 02-26-2017, 10:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Moving to Brakes and Suspension.

Quick Reply: Tracktion Trouble