Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adaptive Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adaptive Suspension

How do you guys feel about this. Is an adaptive suspension something that a trans am should have or any sports car for that matter? If I wanted this where could I possibly find it?
Old 06-28-2004, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Not to sound stupid, but I don't even know what you mean by 'adaptive'.
Are you refering to an "independant rear suspension" like a Corvette maybe?
Old 06-28-2004, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Active/Adaptive, whatever you want to call it gives you the best of both worlds, handling with a comfortable ride, by dynamically controlling the rate of damping. With our cars I don't think anyone makes a system. To adapt an existing system would require a great deal of R&D for it to work correctly and cost a fortune. If someone sold an off the shelf system it would likely also cost a fortune.

So in my opinion. Yes a good thing. A good thing for F-cars if you wanted to expend that much money and had the resources to develop a complex system.

Brian
Old 06-28-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like the Corvette F55 magnetic ride suspension - yes, it rocks - I drove mom's (see sig) from Baton Rouge to New Orleans and back this weekend, and it is firm when you want that and cushy when you want that - and it NEVER seems to touch the bump stops, so it's never harsh.

And like 00PewterSS said, there's no way anyone could develop one for our cars without spending a HUGE amount of money. The magnetic shocks themselves are just a starting point - there are all sorts of sensors, a computer, and the programming that goes in the computer.

Corvettes with the F55 option have it (2003 and up), and Cadillac has it (from 2002 on the STS, and on the XLR).
Old 06-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Launching!

I bet you could swap the Corvette 'magnetic ride' shocks, sensors and other hardware onto an F-body easier than you could program it to respond correctly with the different vehicle dynamics (spring rates, weight dist, etc.) It would probably behave really weird without being reprogrammed.

And if you thought LT1edit had a steep learning curve...

Quick Reply: Adaptive Suspension